C170B VS Aeronca Sedan on Floats.

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

c170b53

C170B VS Aeronca Sedan on Floats.

Post by c170b53 »

I'm not a float flyer yet but have dreams of doing so. Before buying my B I was looking at a sedan. Now after rebuilding my Cessna I'm thinking about going to floats. Yeah I know should have done something about it during the rebuild. Here's the question, there's a Sedan for sale locally, probably has needs but would it make for a better float platform compared to the Cessna?
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Back in the '70's I built the tooling and cowlings for the 180hp conversion to the 15AC for a fellow who has become a lifelong friend. He was the Aeronca Sedan Type club for a number of years. With the 180hp Lycoming that is a splendid floatplane. I doubt very much the 170B could match it's performance getting off the water. It's a brute of a wing.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Dave, is that Bob (or Bill?) who used to own Aerocenter at Thun? I talked with him once about his 180-horse Sedan.
My cousin had a Sedan on floats in Alaska back in the early fifties, and thought it was quite an airplane. His had the stock 145 Continental like our 170's. The only thing he didn't like about it better than the PA-12 floatplane he had later was the yoke (not stick) controls.
What is the wing area of the Sedan?, the 170 wing is about 175 square feet. Either more wing area, a better airfoil, or lighter weight would account for performance differences.
There's a shop up in Chugiak Alaska, Burl's, that specializes in Aeronca Sedans. I think he has a website.

Eric
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Eric
I don't know if I should answer you since you're not a member :twisted:

It was Dick Welsh, a retired Delta pilot. Used to live on Lake Sammamish and was tight with all the Aero-Dyne guys who were also Delta, or really pre Delta. In fact when Aero-Dyne shut down Dick and I almost bought the lot of it to liquidate but were afraid the DC3's would be slow to sell. Ha, they went first. Any Sedan owner who's been around a few years would know Dick. Hell of a guy with a heart of gold. He has a 340 now and that's my ride to Oshkosh.

It's the wing. According to my Juptner's the 15AC is TC#802 with a span of 37'6", Chord 66". 216 sqft. NACA-4412 with an empty weight of 1150lbs. It holds 36 gallons of fuel. takeoff with full load sea level was 500ft. In 1980 217 were still registered with 59 in Alaska.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
dacker

Post by dacker »

I am operating by memory here... but didn't AOPA just feature the Sedan a couple of months back? If I am not mistaken, there was the possibility that someone was thinking of producing new ones. I will try to look at my past issues later and confirm.
David
n2582d

Aeronca Sedan

Post by n2582d »

The article on the Aeronca Sedan is in the November 2005 issue of AOPA.
http://www.aopa.org/members/files/pilot ... t0511.html
Gary
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

I'm not an AOPA member so that link was not available to me, but Thks for the effort. The reason I asked the question is due to a Sedan that recently became locally available. The first aircraft I looked at purchasing was a Sedan, but I had zero hours, I got 10hrs then I bought a 172 to learn on. I eventually realized that a tailwheel was a requirement for adventure so I sold the dollar seventy two and bought a 170B.
Sedans don't come along that often, Then again I've slowly tried to amass the parts to put a float kit in my 170 and as you can guess those parts don't come along that often either.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I sent a copy of the article. Check your email. gh

(But having read it, while interesting, I can't see any advantage over a 170, and several disadvantages. Rag airplane. Non-adjustable copilot seat, only one cabin door, similar performance/capability as a 170. Same engine.)

Short exerpt, re: performance on floats:
"Published ground roll is 700 feet, with the airplane flying off at about 55 mph. On floats, application of full power initially results in a clattering roar, but not much else. There is little sensation of acceleration, while what spray there is stays low, away from the cabin and windshield. Full aft wheel is held to start the ascent onto the step, where the floats will plane most efficiently. The nose pitches up, pauses, then pitches up again as the Sedan slowly heaves its way upward. The nose is gradually lowered until the floats are planing, which generates a short burst of modest acceleration, to about 45 mph. Then acceleration pauses, as if the Sedan is asking the pilot if flight is truly desired, and allowing suitable time for a considered answer. Eventually airspeed creeps toward larger numbers ..."

Wow. How exhilarating. :roll:

(grin)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
n4517c

Post by n4517c »

25 years ago, on a daily basis, I flew a Sedan on Edo 2000's with a 180 hp engine. At the time, we were transporting fishermen to small remote ponds to fish for brook trout. When we first bought the aiplane it had a short constant speed prop and would haul a couple passengers under most conditions, but was nothing to write home about. A fixed pitch prop, which was originally used for testing a 180 hp 172 on floats was stored in the hangar loft, so we gave it a try on the Sedan. The result was an impressive airplane. It would jump right up on the step and rotate in very short order. We flew it a couple of years but ended up cracking the motor mount and then tought better of tthe idea. I do not recall either the diameter or pitch of that prop, but it was a big heavy blade. That plane would go with two passengers into almost all of the places where our supercub would go with one.
kbbell

Post by kbbell »

I've had my '52 C170B 145hp/80x40/Edo 2000s for 12 years. What a fabulous seaplane, the prop made a big difference. Great 2-seater, with all that room for baggage, but can handle kids or small adults in the back - leave out some gas and most baggage.

The 145hp Sedans I've seen were dogs, not being able to modify the wing is huge.
Certainly, if you put a 180hp into it the Sedan will perform, but a C170/180hp is a rocket.

Also, don't trade aluminum for a fabric fuselage, unless you're looking at Maules.