Looking for some "simple" answers

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Paul-WI

Looking for some "simple" answers

Post by Paul-WI »

Hi again everyone;

58D is flying great. Weather has been a little too cold for flying last weekend (-25) but will get up this week. Anyway, I have a couple of questions that I looked for on the site but could not find a clear answer to.

1. I have an owner's manual but if I understand correctly, this will not substitute for a POH. If this is correct, any idea where I can locate one?

2. Lots of discussion on parts catalogues and I see lots of different ones out there but which one would you recommend?

3. Looking for a manual for a Micrologic ML-6500 Loran. I have a checklist card but no manual. I searched with google, but no luck. I eventually will upgrade my avionics, but this may take a couple of years and since the loran is installed and working, I want to use it.

Thanks again for this site - it's awesome (almost as awesome as a 170 :D )

Paul
N3458D
1955 170B
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

1) Velvet at Assn HQ no doubt can send you a copy of the operating limitations for the 55 B model. Officially known as the "approved flight manual". Different from the owners manual, and required to be onboard per the FAR's. It all fits on a double-sided 8.5 X 11 sheet of paper.
2) Aircraft Spruce, Univair, Chief Aircraft, WagAero- in that order.
3) Good luck looking for the Loran manual. I'd say that if you can't find one, and you can't figure out how to work the thing by experimentation (try messing with it while somebody else is flying the airplane)- trash it & buy a handheld GPS. You can get a nice one for less than $500 with moving map & lotsa functions besides navigation. Maybe less than that for a nice used one when someone else upgrades. I really like my Garmin Pilot 3, even though it's no longer produced I'd recommend it to anyone.

Eric
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

If you want a really nice Loran, I still recommend the Bendix/King KX-88. I keep mine operating as a backup and as the only permanently installed nav radio. Paid $150 for it, and enjoy it's "moving map" type of display, and ongoing support from the successor to Bendix/King, Honeywell. IFR databases still available (at cost of course, but still supported is the point.)
So easy to install, and so inexpensive, I actually have a spare unit in case of an unforseen failure. It's cheaper than a trip to the avionics repair shop.
(And ... I have a Northstar M1 Loran, complete, with antenna and coupler I'll sell to anyone who wants it. It's also a good unit for basic navigation, and the manual goes with it. $50.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Paul
I've tried to send you an AFM for an early 170B which should work for your '55. If you don't get it at the hotmail address in you profile send me a PM with a good email address.

I started collecting these sometime back in order to scan and clean them up and give them to the association in PDF form. I've collected several for the '48 and the A model and have cleaned them up fixing the damaged type. I've actually found 2 different versions of these AFMs.

I have one AFM for a B model dated 1950 so it is a very early version I'm sure there may be later versions but I haven't received or found any yet. The one I sent you is a blank version but I've not repaired any of the type.

As previoulsy mentioned Velvet at HQ may also have these documents.

Once you see it you may also realize you have one yourself.

As for parts catalogs copies are available from the sources mentioned but
before I bought a paper copy I'd buy the Cd from McCurtian http://www.mccurtaintg.com $20 and shipping.

I have this CD and it is excellent. If you need to you can print any page you need. Along with the CDs I also have collected several nice copies of orginal parts manuals which I've bought on ebay. Expect to pay about $50 for a nice copy if you go this route.

As for the Micrologic loran. I was able to find that Icom bought them in about 2000. Looking at Icom's site I wasn't able to find anything for you loran. Perhaps a phone call to them will turn something up.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
silkyd

owners manual

Post by silkyd »

1 ea P213-13 1952 170b Aircraft Owners Manual / Cessna has stock!
NCNR $35.50

i just ordered this from spruce today.....i have been told there was never a POH issued when this aircraft was sold new...and this maunual is what takes it's place.

I love this website!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Let's make certain everyone is aware of what a "POH" is....
Pilots Operating Handbook (POH), in modern terms, usually refers to an approved document which contains various operating limitations, handling qualities, etc, and is an FAA approved document, usually required to be carried on board the aircraft. This is the "modern" version of this type document.

The Cessna 170 aircraft never had a "Pilots Operating Handbook" which was approved by anyone other than the Cessna Marketing Department. The handbook commonly thought of such, the "Owners Manual", is actually a marketing device, which was produced originally/contemporaneously by Cessna, and was never approved by the FAA and is not required to be on board the aircraft. It is now sold in a reprint version by Spruce, Univair, etc., and is also sold by Cessna.

The aircraft Type Design Certificate, an FAA document which describes the Cessna 170's specifications, has as a mandated requirement a statement that the CAA (forerunner of the FAA) APPROVED FLIGHT MANUAL must be carried on board the aircraft. This is also commonly referred to as the AFM.
The AFM is a one-page, double-sided document, which is CAA/FAA approved and REQUIRED to be onboard the aircraft. An official copy for your aircraft may be obtained directly from Cessna, for about $35.* (This is entirely different than the marketing document we all call the Owner's Manual previously mentioned, which is reprinted by Spruce, Univair, etc. and sells for about $10, and which has been updated by Cessna and reprinted by them also selling for about $35. The Owner's Manual is NOT required, although it is useful and interesting.)

*If you are happy with a photostatic copy of the required AFM , and if you are a TIC170A member, then Velvet, at headquarters can send you a copy for about $2.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
silkyd

POH

Post by silkyd »

Thanks for that info...i would be willing to bet i am not the only one confused about this! Just one more thing i have learned from this great website! I got my membership $$ back the first night on the forum!
Bill Hart

Post by Bill Hart »

Ditto
trake

Post by trake »

I wouldnt be a member if there was no website. Dont have the time to go to the conventions and the print publications are too heavy on the social and too light on the technical IMHO Im told about half the membership rarely or never visits the website-probably the long-time members mostly
Tracy Ake
1955 cessna 170b
sn26936
N2993D
LEA

Post by LEA »

Paul--I looked through my old files and lo & behold , I have a Micrologic ML-6500 Pilots guide. I will gladly send it to you ,no charge ,if you will provide me your mailing address.

Robert Lea TIC170A member
Amarillo ,Texas E-Mail (boblea5 (at) excite.com)
Always a tail dragger! 1948 C170 Ragwing
Luscombe
Stinson V77
Waco UPF-7
Stinson Voager
Cessna 195B
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Just a helpful reminder... if you don't want the World Wide Web to view your personal information .... like email addresses, personal addresses, phone #'s , etc.... You can always convey personal information using the PM (Private Msg) feature. gh
Last edited by GAHorn on Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul-WI

Post by Paul-WI »

Thanks LEA. I sent you my address via PM. Again, this website and organization is worth it's weight on gold!!! A great resource.

Paul
N3458D
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

aul, when you said "catalogs" what immediately came to mind was (free or almost free) catalogs from the parts/supply outfits. What you also should have:
170B Illustrated Parts Catalog (IPC)-- about $40
C-145/O-300 parts catalog-- about $65
C-145/O-300 overhaul manual-- about $85
This totals up to close to two hundred bucks. At least some of this stuff is available on CD, like Bruce pointed out. Might be cheaper &/or handier.
Also nice to have, but not essential:
170B owners manual-- about $12
1953-62 Cessna 100 series service manual -- about $45

Eric