Scott 3200 Tail wheel

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Alan

Scott 3200 Tail wheel

Post by Alan »

Hi:
I have continuing problems(and I have the feeling I'm not alone) with the steerring arm bending upwards and eventually cracking on my tail wheel steering. I have adjusted the chain tension as per Scott. I have losened them as well to prevent this bending with the result I have poor steering.

I was wondering if replaceing the arm assembly (PN 3214) with arm assembly 3214T, plus upper and lower dust caps associated with this arm is a worthwhile fix ?

Any comments or suggestions are welcome and would be appreciated.

Alan
Hudson, QUEBEC
1952 170B
N170CT

Post by N170CT »

Alan,

Don't know the history, but my 170B has the "bent" arms and I have never experienced a problem with the tail wheel. Can't remember for sure, but I suspect the "bent" arms are slightly thicker in addition to being wider. Poor steering is something most of us just live with. For whatever reason, my Great Lakes biplane has the 3200 tail wheel with straight arms and has much better steering than the 170B. Neither aircraft has demonstrated any tail wheel "problems".

BTW...Where are you based?? Spouse and I have a small home in St. Augustin de Demaures sud 8) of CYQB.
regards,
chuck
Alan

Scott 3200

Post by Alan »

Chuck:
Thanks for the reply Chuck.

When I installed the present arm(new) it was straight at that time. It has bent upwards and now has cracks at the base where the arms join the body. This is second one. I'm pretty sure it is because there's too much upward force on the arms due to way they attach to the rudder. I suspect the steering change made with serial # 26505 in 1955 may work better. I just wish I could get better ground handeling and steering response.

We live about 30 kilometers West of Montreal airport right on the Ottawa river. Across the river from town of Oka, if you know here that is situated. Nearest small field here is St. Lazare. I keep my Cessna in Lachute, not far from Mirabel as I have a nice warm hangar avialable there !! Guess your place is down in "the Beauce" area.
Regards
Alan
cessna170bdriver

Re: Scott 3200

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Alan wrote:I suspect the steering change made with serial # 26505 in 1955 may work better. I just wish I could get better ground handeling and steering response.
Alan
Alan, I have a 1955 model, SN26541, with the "updated" steering, and even when the current tailwheel was brand new in the early 90's it really didn't have good steering response by itself; it still took a little help from the brakes. I talked to one of our charter members about it. He has owned his airplane since the 60's and said that is just the way 170's steer. Once you get used to steering with the brakes during taxi it's not that bad.

I suspect that the steering design change was made more to prevent damage to the rudder than to improve steering.

Hope this helps, Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

If you do a search on this subject it has been talked about some time in the past. I seem to recall that Scott made some arms out of aluminum, even the bent up ones. Members where finding they bend. They shouldn't.

Apparently they started using steal again and they are much stronger.

At least that is the way I remember the threads going.

Do a search, I'm sure you'll find the story.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Alan, the 3214T (upturned) arm assembly is a worthwhile upgrade. While it is not the cure-all for lazy t/w steering that some folks claim it to be (the steering geometry improves some, but not that much!), it is a lot beefier than the standard part, so your arm-bending days will be over. Your original upper & lower dust covers can be easily modified (notched) to fit the new arm assembly, so you don't have to buy those if you're at all handy running a pair of tin-snips.

Eric
Alan

Scott 3200

Post by Alan »

Eric:
Thanks or your thoghts. I kind of thought that arm (3214T) would be stronger and give a better geometry. Will do that change and live with it that way.

Thanks,
Alan
Alan

Scott 3200

Post by Alan »

N9149A wrote:If you do a search on this subject it has been talked about some time in the past. I seem to recall that Scott made some arms out of aluminum, even the bent up ones. Members where finding they bend. They shouldn't.

Apparently they started using steal again and they are much stronger.

At least that is the way I remember the threads going.

Do a search, I'm sure you'll find the story.
Bruce:

Thanks for the info. Will soldier on here and get an improvement oone way or the other.
Alan
N2865C

Post by N2865C »

You might want to check with Alaskan Bush Wheel.
http://www.akbushwheel.com/
They make a PMA'd replacement for the Scott 3200 and also sell direct replacement parts. They should have what you need and be able to answer any questions.
John
N2865C
"The only stupid question is one that wasn't asked"
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Other than the batch of aluminum arms... I believe one reason for the steel arms bending is due to poor/incorrect assembly or maintenance of the tailwheel.
The 3200 in the 170 installation should only have 3 compression springs inside it...not the 5 depicted in some assy dwgs. The pawl depicted inside the unit can fail to disengage if the U-spring fractures and jams. Lastly, lubrication of the tailwheel assy is usually negletcted. It should be greased regularly, at least annually/every 100 hours. (I completely lubricate my airplane per the service manual twice a year as a personal preference. I fly it less than/about 100 hrs/yr.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Alan

Scott 3200

Post by Alan »

Hello George:

Thanks for your reply. I have gone through two arms. The tailwheel has had new bearings. The pawl is working ok and has been disassembled and everything inspected---more than once. First time I did this there were, in fact, five springs. I removed two. The U spring is ok. As for lubrication, it has a lots. Last year I flew 53 hours and felt it should have had better tailwheel performance--steering wise. Perhaps I'm expecting a bit more than it can give. I plan to replace the present arm with the heavier one PN 3412-T and see wht that brings.

Thanks for your thoughts. Always welcome.
Regards

Alan

I have
Alan

Scott 3200

Post by Alan »

N2865C

Howdy from Quebec. Had a look at at the wsite. In :roll: teresting. Thanks for your help.
Alan
n3833v

Post by n3833v »

I would also look at the type of springs attached for your arm. I use regular springs and not the compression springs which get tight and can create unusual forces on the arm.

John
John Hess
Past President 2018-2021
President 2016-2018, TIC170A
Vice President 2014-2016, TIC170A
Director 2005-2014, TIC170A
N3833V Flying for Fun
'67 XLH 900 Harley Sportster
EAA Chapter 390 Pres since 2006
K3KNT
Alan

Scott 3200

Post by Alan »

John:

Thanks for the reply. I had those compression springs and removed same about two yeras ago. No change. I have the regular ones now.

Regards
Alan
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

I second George's comment re: regular lubrication of the t/w assembly- if it don't spit grease at ya when ya walk by the tail, it's time to lube it.
I believe Alaska Bush Wheel is now the source for the 3200, at least the latest Chief catalog lists the "ABW ABI 3224A" now as opposed to the "Scott 3200" -- and for less money ($938) than the last catalog's listing for the Scott part! Looks like the ABW product also comes with the 3214T arm assembly standard. For your bush pilots, the fattie version of this t/w lists for $1695.

Eric