Question about paperwork and replacement axles

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Paul-WI

Question about paperwork and replacement axles

Post by Paul-WI »

Hi everyone;

I finally located the gentleman who holds the STC for my Schneider Skis :D :D :D . I will need to replace the axles with hollow steel axles (1441003-1) for mounting the skis as I have hollow aluminum axles now. I am NOT trying to rehash or rekindle a debate on what kind of axles work best (spent a half an hour last night reading some old posts on pros and cons of each).

Question I have is that I have located a nice set of used axles and am wondering if this is something that can be installed with a note in the logbook or do I need to locate an STC? I am still on a quick learning curve of ownership - (translate $$$$$$) I don't even want to calculate what this costs per hour :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Any feedback would be appreciated as I really want to Ski this year yet!

THANKS!!!!

Paul
N3458D
Jr.CubBuilder

Post by Jr.CubBuilder »

Airframes Inc. (http://www.supercubs.com) sells those axles AF1441003-1 FAA PMA steel axles, and they are approved for the C170.

If it helps it PMA No. PQ2644CE, Supplement No. 23, Date: June 2, 2005
They are an approved replacement for Cessna P/Ns 0541124, and 0541124-1

I suggest checking out the PMA document, and then put on the steel axles.
spiro

Post by spiro »

so where'd you find Schneider? I heard he's no longer in Eagle River.

those skis are awfully big & heavy for a 170, I've only seen them on 180's. They're not very popular in any case.

if the STC says you need the steel axles as part of the install then maybe that's all the approval basis you need. You also need to use $$ NAS bolts to install those axles, but maybe you knew that already. Changing axles is also the perfect time to check/adjust your alignment.

- paul
Paul-WI

Post by Paul-WI »

Thanks for the input. The FAA Field office in Alaska had his new address (Ohio) and phone # and I was able to call him. His brother (twin brother) is taking care of the paperwork now so I got a hold of him this week. Paperwork is in the mail! I know the skis are heavy, but I was given these when I bought the plane (and the price of the plane was raised to include the skis). The friend I bought the plane actually wanted to give me the plane but I did not want to go that route so he cut me a heck of a deal.

Anyway, I have most of the hardware except for the brackets which Robert is shipping with the paperwork and the FBO has the bolts I need so hopefully I will be flying with skis soon. As far as the paperwork, the mechanic at the FBO called the FAA field office and said all we need to do is do a log book entry for the axles (yea!!)

Thanks again everyone - this is a great resource and tool!

Paul