engine overhaul

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

lbgjb

engine overhaul

Post by lbgjb »

any group suggestions about type and place of engine overhaul. engine is TBO and have a sick cylinder. Thanks. larry b. lbgjb@gnt.net
Curtis Brown

Post by Curtis Brown »

I used Aviation Engines in Centerville, AL They used ECI cylinders and put the light weight pust botton starter on it. About 16K. They picked up engine and returned it on extra charge. They have a website, search it.
Curtis
1950 A model 1256D
N73087

Post by N73087 »

I used Zephyr engines, Zephyrhills, FL. It was about 16k also, included carb overhaul, new slick mags and harness, lightweight starter.
http://www.zephyrengines.com/
They are less than 100 miles from me, so I delivered and picked up.
Very good people to work with.
t7275tr

engine overhaul

Post by t7275tr »

If you enjoy getting your hands dirty, I suggest doing the overhaul yourself. You will need an A&P who is engine savy to assemble the engine for you. An engine overhaul is a collection of overhauled components done by outside companys and the new parts that go with it.. There is no reason that an overhaul done in your hanger should not be as good as one done by a major shop. I did mine three years ago. I took the engine off the plane, did most of the disassembly, cylinders etc, my A&P helped me split the case. I then sent all the components to the overhaul facilities. I used Aircraft Specialities Services, Divco and Drake. I ordered the new parts, new cylinders, magsand overhauled carb. My A&P assembled the engine and helped me install it. I saved 5K over what he had recently charged for a similar overhaul on an O-300 on a 172 and had a great time doing it. If you enjoy grunt work, this is an easy way to build sweat equity. Most of the work is not technical, just labor intensive and why pay someone $50 an hour to do something you can do yourself. Continental Service Bulletin SB97-6 should be used to determine the parts that must be replaced. Good luck and have fun.