Slick or Bendix?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

or170B

Slick or Bendix?

Post by or170B »

Long story short, chased my power loss to the mags. I have decided to r eplace both. Currently have Bendix but my mechanic says replace with Slick. This is on a Lyc. 180 whats your opinion? The Slick's are $150 more is this worh it?
Watkinsnv

Post by Watkinsnv »

I have Bendix mags on my Lyc O-360 I had them gone through while I rebuilt the engine. I perfer Bendix mags myself but then I'm a Ford man too. Just a side note I also have no impulse couplers I've got a shower of sparks ignition system. Great starts and no ADs on the couplers.
Lance
mit

Post by mit »

Bendix. the AD on the impluse is gone.
Tim
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Slicks are fine and for that price they usually come with a new harness and a set of plugs which you have to figure in to the equation.

Bendix work just as well but there are more parts in the field for repairs in a pinch than Slick. Ask your mechanic what he has laying around that might be used to repair a Bendix mag. Chances are there are a few Bendix in that old box in the corner. Never saw a Slick laying around.

Of course that last statement might say it all depending on what camp your in. There could be a lot of Bendix around because they break and people have replaced them with Slicks. There are no Slicks around because they don't break. Or perhaps there are no Slicks around because no one buys them. :twisted:

I have Slicks on my Cub and under the right circumstances I wouldn't hesitate to replace the Bendix in my 170. On the other hand I'm not running right out and replacing my Bendix with Slicks and have no plans to do so.

I'm also Chevy man driving a Honda. :D

Does that clear thinks up for you. 8O
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Indopilot

Post by Indopilot »

FWIW I like the Bendix better, probably because I've worked on them and are more familiar. They also seem to more field repairable. I have had one go bad and was able reset the points and make it home or solder the condenser wire back on w/o pulling the mag and make it home. Slicks to me work good but if you have a problem there is where you sit.
But there again I drive whatever the Coyotes ( people haulers) leave lying around just north of the Mexico Border. 8) It a'int perty but its paid for. :D
52 170B s/n 20446
56 172 s/n 28162
Echo Weed eater, Jezebeel
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

N9149A wrote:Chances are there are a few Bendix in that old box in the corner. Never saw a Slick laying around.

Of course that last statement might say it all depending on what camp your in.There could be a lot of Bendix around because they break and people have replaced them with Slicks. There are no Slicks around because they don't break.
Bingo! Get the Slick kit, great deal - good mags. :twisted:
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

In my experience Bendix mags will come in slower and fire hotter and are easier to field repair when needed.
BL
N170CT

Post by N170CT »

About two years ago, my Bendix mags accumulated enough hours to need an overhaul. Howsomever, on checking around, I learned that it was significantly cheaper, excuse me, less expensive to purchase a pair of slicks with new harness and new plugs than just overhauling the two Bendix. Bought mine from Mattituck in New York. Great people to deal with. During an A&P class we had to disassemble and reassemble several examples of both makes and it was obvious the slicks are simpler with fewer parts to fail and lighter. I don't drive Chevys or Fords and can categorically state that both Bendix and Slick magnetos are good. To me its just a matter of economics.
Two pesos,
chuck