REMOVABLE STEP for fuel tank inspection

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Curtis Brown

Post by Curtis Brown »

Me too! I'll buy one. I have wheel pants so I can not even reach up to the windshield to clean it without a step ladder.
Curtis
1950 A model 1256D
4stripes

step

Post by 4stripes »

I knew this step would create a lot of interest...
I'll post the measurements within a day or two for those interested in making your own. As for buying a finished step, I'll ask my friend who made the first one...
Cheers Eric
P.S. speaking of wheel pants, does anyone have a clean set they want to sell? My friend (who made the step) needs some for his 1954 170...
thammer

Re: step

Post by thammer »

4stripes wrote:I knew this step would create a lot of interest...
I'll post the measurements within a day or two for those interested in making your own. As for buying a finished step, I'll ask my friend who made the first one...
Cheers Eric
P.S. speaking of wheel pants, does anyone have a clean set they want to sell? My friend (who made the step) needs some for his 1954 170...
If he doesn't need aluminum ones he might be interested in a new set of carbon fiber ones from Matt Lahti. Seems to me I read that the 120-140-170 wore the same size pants.
4stripes

step measurements

Post by 4stripes »

The picture of the step will help understand the following...
The flat bar stock is 7/8" by 3/32" with numerous notches ground in for traction. This flat stock was 10 1/4" long with a 1/2" hole at each end.
The bar stock is 1/2" diameter. The longer one is 11" long and the short is about 6" (includes the bent welded section). The straight parts of the round bar stock are 4 1/2" covered with rubber hose. These sections are 1 3/16" apart. This space fits the gear leg nicely once the rubber hose is slid over.
Cheers Eric