New Engine Baffles from enginebaffles.com

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

cessna170bdriver

New Engine Baffles from enginebaffles.com

Post by cessna170bdriver »

In an earlier post,
gahorn wrote:Lee also says he's obtained approval for his engine cooling baffles for the 1953 and later B-models, which include several improvements to the original baffle sealing. He plans to work toward producing approved baffles for the earlier airplanes in the future. You may view and order the entire set, or individual baffles from their website.
So if you need baffles for your later B-model, or axles to replace your failure-prone aluminum ones, then contact:
Airframes, Inc.
P.O. Box 521795
Big Lake, AK 99652
PH: 907-892-8244

http://www.enginebaffles.com

Airframes, Inc. is now a supporter of TIC170A and is advertising with us in the next issue, so let's reciprocate!
(Thanks, Lee!)
I ordered the complete set last Thursday, and they were on my doorstep yesterday (Monday)! I am very impressed with the quality and completeness of the kit. All bracketry and hose connectors are installed, and all holes for fasteners, blast tubes, vent tube, mag harness, etc, are there. All of the red silicone baffle seals are already in place. This kit is literally ready to install to the engine. (Now all I need is an engine.) The only parts not included are the hardware (springs, screws, grommets, etc.) and the 0550117 inner cylinder baffles (Figure 53, index 31 on pages 92-93 in the B-model IPC; the little irregularly shaped pieces between the outboard ends of the cylinder heads).

The photos on the web site don't do the kit justice. I am pondering the idea of starting a thread to document the build-up of my O-300A. If/when I start that effort, I'll try to post pictures of the baffles both before and after installation.

George, you definitely need to add Airframes, Inc. to the Parts Resources Sticky in the MX Library. 8)

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
lbell1945

Post by lbell1945 »

I have a '52. my baffles are in excelent shape but some of the seals are poor. is there anywhere I can buy original type rubber?
Larry
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

You can get it through the regular supply houses (Yingling, Hill, etc.) and I believe a/c spruce as well. The Cessna parts suppliers can cross reference based on the original p/n. When I ordered mine 5 years ago it was $12.50 per foot. 8O
Doug
dacker

Post by dacker »

I got my rubber seals from Airframes Inc. They worked just fine, though I don't think he normally sells them by themselves. I also got a couple of small parts for the baffles, he offers some kind of baked on coating that is really tough. If I were ordering new baffles I would definitely order his with the corrosion proof coating. Real easy guy to deal with!
David