Cleveland dual pucks

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Dave Clark

Cleveland dual pucks

Post by Dave Clark »

I've just spent the last hour or so trying to negotiate the Parker Hanafin site on line to research the conversion kit. Would have saved time by going up to my hangar and getting my Cleveland books! Anyway I've determined the following:

kit 199-60 for 6:00x6 tires

Kits 199-62 and 199-62A for 8:00x6 tires

Curiosity led me to find what parts were different and until I got fed up trying to use their website I found that the 199-60 and the 199-62 have the same wheels but the -62A has different wheel halves. All three brake discs are different. Cones and bearings are all the same as well as the linings. The brake assemblies and torque plates on the -62 and -62A are the same but different than the -60 which makes sense due to the larger tires. If you are with me so far then the question is:

Why is there a -62A and what are the real differences from the -62? I'm a little frustrated because it's not really to evident why the change in wheel halves but I'd like to know which to order as they are both listed. I suspect the difference might be minor but who knows?

Also has anyone had experience with the "performance Gold" brake disks?

Anyone have any field approvals they can send me? I couldn't find the list of what Velvet has on the website here but then it appears I'm having a bad day.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The list is at the top of the page in the MX Library.

My break-down list of Cleveland wheels show the 199-62 uses the 40-75D wheel (three bolts), and the 199-62A uses the 40-75T wheel (six bolts.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

gahorn wrote:The list is at the top of the page in the MX Library.

My break-down list of Cleveland wheels show the 199-62 uses the 40-75D wheel (three bolts), and the 199-62A uses the 40-75T wheel (six bolts.)
OK George I see that now, thanks. (I had printed out the kit directory and IPL's). That would sure make for a different disk. I wonder why they offer the -A? Stronger? I wonder if they are all aluminum wheels or if some are magnesium?

Oh the pain to have an inquisitive mind. Gives me headaches :)
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

After talking to the tech at P-H it seems the -66A might be a carry over from when they bought McCauly. He said there was a resistance by some to go to the three bolt wheels instead of the six bolt McCauly's. Even though they each have the same load rating. Both the -66 and the -66A use magnesium wheels. I've decided to go with the -66 three bolt and chrome disks. Velvet is sending me some 337's.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180