Cooler weather flying

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

I don't believe BMW makes the suits (although they may have a line, who knows). The more popular ones are made by Gerbing ( http://www.gerbing.com ) and Widder ( http://www.widder.com ). They do mention, however, that a BMW accessory plug is necessary for some suits to function. Not being a BMW guy, I'm not familiar with the plug, but I guess I'll have to find out more. Knowing BMW, it's probably unique to them.
Doug
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Corey, those two references are from the "Owners Manual", the same document I was referring to as "ambiguous" and those two references are why I said that. Those comments are recommendations for technique found in the manual.

But the FAA approved performance data calls for full throttle, and the same Owner's Manual check list, Item F, Take off, states:
"(4) For take-offs use full throttle, or power required.
(5) Heels on the floor to avoid dragging brakes.
(6) Climb at full throttle, or power required for safety."

Warming up the engine sufficient for full-power takeoffs is prudent and good operating technique, in my opinion. There's no reason that cannot be accomplished prior to flight.

Additionally, partial-power takeoffs in carbureted engines is not generally a good idea because it also defeats the enrichment position of the carburetor throttle. Mr. Busch on several occasions has also written against that practice.
(In fact, taking off with partial power, while defeating the enrichment circuit of the carburetor will actually deprive he engine of cooling fuel, and will worsen any imaginable piston-heating problem.) Finally, I personally like to know my engine will develop full power before I take it into the air.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)