Lifter Hydraulic Unit

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

cessna170bdriver

Lifter Hydraulic Unit

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Hope someone has a reference to resolve this question:

Continental Illustrated Parts List specifies 637269 for the lifter hydraulic unit. Superior lists SA646846. In all other cases I've seen, the SA part #. tracks the Continental #. Is this an exception, or has the original part been superceded? I tried tcmlink.com without success. Neither Superior nor Premium Airparts list the original number. Preferred Airparts lists both, but only show one of each in stock.

Thanks, Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
johneeb

Re: Lifter Hydraulic Unit

Post by johneeb »

cessna170bdriver wrote:Hope someone has a reference to resolve this question:

Continental Illustrated Parts List specifies 637269 for the lifter hydraulic unit. Superior lists SA646846. In all other cases I've seen, the SA part #. tracks the Continental #. Is this an exception, or has the original part been superceded? I tried tcmlink.com without success. Neither Superior nor Premium Airparts list the original number. Preferred Airparts lists both, but only show one of each in stock.

Thanks, Miles
Miles,

My Cotinental Motors Service parts Catalog (form X-30014) list a completely different number for the Unit, Lifter Hydraulic. On page 12 figure 6 illistration #3 is listed as 533399. I looked in the index of part number in the back of my manual and the highest number listed is 636683. The date on inside cover of my manual is November1969. I hope this does not muddy up the water for you.

This is from the for what it is worth department, be sure you use the snap rings that hold the whole Lifter Assembly together. This is the voice of a bad experience speaking.
Last edited by johneeb on Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
cessna170bdriver

According to the TCM Current Publications Listing on their website http://www.tcmlink.com/powerstore/showi ... tegoryID=8# , the most current issue of the parts book X-30014 is November 1981, which is the one I have. TCM no longer gives carte blance access to all of their service bulletins, so I can't determine for sure if 637269 has been superceded. Evidently is was superceded once; it could have happened again.

I've been through the lifter snap ring snafu before, but in reverse. The first time I overhauled this engine, I went by the book and inserted the snap rings per the assembly drawing. The problem was, the lifters were the old style, without the retaining groove. The snap rings all eventually showed up in the suction screen. 8O :oops: On the Swift forum, there is an article that says that these snap rings only serve to prevent the hydraulic unit and pusrod socket from being drawn out with the removal of a push rod.

Miles
Miles

— Thomas Browne
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

cessna170bdriver wrote: On the Swift forum, there is an article that says that these snap rings only serve to prevent the hydraulic unit and pusrod socket from being drawn out with the removal of a push rod.

Miles
Miles here is a picture of a lifter body that did not have a snap ring installed allowing the piston to fall out and wedge between the lifter body and the pushrod tube retainer. When the lifter body gets into this condition you have no choice but to split the case haves again. :cry:

John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

cessna170bdriver

Reminds me of that time I found a piece of the bottom end (flange) of a lifter body in the suction screen... Kinda ruins your whole day. It makes me wonder why this series of engines has the flange on the cam end of the lifter bodies. Others I have seen are the same diameter all the way down, and can be removed without splitting the case. With the right style of push rod tube, you don't even have to pull the cylinder.

Miles
Miles

— Thomas Browne
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

cessna170bdriver wrote:Reminds me of that time I found a piece of the bottom end (flange) of a lifter body in the suction screen... Kinda ruins your whole day. It makes me wonder why this series of engines has the flange on the cam end of the lifter bodies. Others I have seen are the same diameter all the way down, and can be removed without splitting the case. With the right style of push rod tube, you don't even have to pull the cylinder.

Miles
Amen to ruining your whole day, it's more like several days.

The mushroom fange on the bottom of the lifter body must influence the duration of the valve timing and probably the cam grind. :?:
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

cessna170bdriver wrote:Reminds me of that time I found a piece of the bottom end (flange) of a lifter body in the suction screen... Kinda ruins your whole day. It makes me wonder why this series of engines has the flange on the cam end of the lifter bodies. Others I have seen are the same diameter all the way down, and can be removed without splitting the case. With the right style of push rod tube, you don't even have to pull the cylinder.

Miles
For a comparison of TCM vs LYC hydraulic lifters and valve systems see:
http://www.prime-mover.org/Engines/Marvel/tbo3.html
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
cessna170bdriver

Re: Lifter Hydraulic Unit

cessna170bdriver wrote:Hope someone has a reference to resolve this question:

Thanks, Miles
So... does anyone have a definitive answer for my original question?

Miles
Miles

— Thomas Browne
cessna170bdriver

gahorn wrote:

Miles
For a comparison of TCM vs LYC hydraulic lifters and valve systems see:
http://www.prime-mover.org/Engines/Marvel/tbo3.html

Especially notice the pic in Fig. 6.
The mushroom vs straight lifter body doesn't seem to be a TCM vs LYC issue. There are examples of both type lifters in both type engines.

Miles
Miles

— Thomas Browne