Torque values prop and axels

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

simatos

Torque values prop and axels

Post by simatos »

I have o-300-d engine with 6 bolt prop and have stored the stc carefully away so i wouldn't loose it who knows where. Would any of you have the torque values for the prop bolts. I seem to remember65 ft/lbs??? Also have axels off for the alignment, 1/2 in bolts upper and 9/16 lower also need these torque values if anybody has these handy. I ended up with 2 shims on the left axel to get proper toe in and camber , is thias OK to do? Cessna 100 series manual says no more that 0.3 in of shimming I think Thanks G
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

CAUTION---CAUTION--- Those axle bolts are NOT, Repeat NOT 1/2 inch and 9/16 inch bolts. If you use the torque values for that size, they will be grossly over torqued, probably streched, and prone to failure.
The top two bolts are 5/16" and the two bottom bolts are 3/8". Torque them accordingly.
Also, If the bolts are NAS bolts be sure you have the proper washers to fit the radiused head to shank shoulder of the bolts.
BL
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

The information I have sez to torque the 6-bolt prop bolts at 55-60 ft-lbs. Interesting cuz the 8-bolters only torque at about 21 ft-lbs.....
BL, looks like Simatos was maybe referring to the size of the hex bolt heads on those axle bolts? Easy mistake to make when posting, but it goes to show us that we have to be fairly precise about some stuff. If the 5/16 and 3/8 axle bolts were to be mistakenly torqued to the higher figures...like BL said, it'd be a bad show.

Eric
simatos

Post by simatos »

hi you guys, thanks for caution and yes I was referring to the hex head size of the bolts heads which I agree is a poor way to describe things. So far nothing torqued and I appreciate the info. For the axles I have new AN hardware as listed in the IPC but I did find another axle with old NAS bolts. I had fits locating NAS bolts for the vert stab attach to empennage. I hope the AN bolts are srtong enuf to secure the axles to the legs. I learn so much from you guys not to mention the correct spelling of "AXLE" Thanks Gary
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The AN bolts are adequate for the axle attach (and are originally specified.) The NAS bolts are approved replacements (and ten times as expensive.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)