N3458D Finally home!

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

JJH55

Post by JJH55 »

gahorn wrote:
JJH55 wrote:Welcome Paul,
You can easily check for the solid axles by sticking a long narrow screwdriver or equivilent through the center of the nut that secures the wheel to the axle. If you have solid axles the screwdriver should only go in an inch or two. If its hollow it will go all the way through to the gear leg.
JJH55

Well... maybe. If he has wheel fairings or the type axle nuts for fairings, he'll be unable to do that. He'll have to remove the nut and look.
Nope, the axle nut used to secure the wheel on the axle and the wheel fairings is drilled/tapped all the way through. On my airplane its 3 1/4" from the outboard edge of the nut to the solid portion of the axle.
JJH55
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Well, that's another of the many differences possible then, I guess. My axle nuts (which accept the bolt which holds my wheel fairings) is solid. The threaded hole for the fairing-bolt is a blind hole.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
jrenwick

Heaters

Post by jrenwick »

Paul-WI wrote:... Does anyone have a good recommendation on an engine heater? The FBO here can install a plug in one that attaches to the oil sump and am thinking about that one. The dragon heater also sounds good but I don't envision leaving it outside overnight.
OK, I'm going to be a little long-winded here, so please forgive me. I bought my latest 170 in February 2004, along with a set of wheel skis (that I have not yet installed). First thing, I ordered insulated covers for the cowling, prop and spinner from http://www.kennoncovers.com/ . The oil pan already had an electric heating pad on the bottom, but since there was nothing to heat the cylinders I ordered Reiff heater bands: http://www.reiffpreheat.com . These install easily, and seem to work well.

Reiff recommended operating the heaters only when you anticipate flying, not full-time. I bought a 110v timer: http://snipurl.com/jwt5 and set it to turn on the heater at midnight Thursdays and off at 5:00 PM on Sundays, because those are the days I fly. (I happened to have a kerosene heater thermostat : http://snipurl.com/jwse , so I put that in the circuit to prevent the heaters from operating on warmer days, in case we had any.)

It was springtime before I got all this done, so the 2004-2005 winter season was my first chance to see how it all worked. My hangar has no heat or insulation whatsoever, and it isn't even tight. All bundled up with the Kennon covers, the heaters maintained the whole engine at about 70 degrees, even on cold days in Minnesota. That seemed pretty nice.

But after a while, I began to notice that the oil is a slightly different color than I'm used to, and the dipstick is permanently discolored where it's immersed in the oil. I don't know what that is, but it makes me uneasy every time I think about it in connection with that very vulnerable, expensive and scarce magnesium oil pan. I burn Philips XC 20/50 oil.

Maybe the application of heat is keeping moisture out of the engine and protecting it, or maybe something else is going on -- I really don't know. I know a flying club with Lyc powered 172s and 182s, where they leave the heaters on full-time under cowling covers, and have done so for at least 20 years without any adverse effect noted. But those planes get daily use whenever the weather isn't too bad.

I have friends who don't use any preheat other than their insulated, heated hangars. Their airplanes never know it's winter out there until the door opens and they're pushed out. Definitely the way to go if you can afford it!

Best Regards,

John
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

How is the oil any different than before? And how is the dipstick "discolored"? Brighter? Or darker? Are you saying it's become discolored only since the preheater operations?
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

gahorn wrote:How is the oil any different than before? And how is the dipstick "discolored"? Brighter? Or darker? Are you saying it's become discolored only since the preheater operations?
The oil was lighter in color, and less translucent. "Grayer" might describe it. The dipstick is mottled with darker stains than the original metal. Yes, this is all since operating the preheater.

I can't do it justice with descriptions. You'd really have to see it. How about if I host a flyin here in, say, early January? You can fly up here and have a look, see what you think about it all. I can arrange for camping under the wing and cold showers! :P

John
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

How 'bout we all take a look at it at the Convention in Kelowna! (in addition to a fly in.) :P
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

I'm planning to be there, and I'll open the cowling for anyone who wants to have a look! :)

John