floor cover plate pins inspection cover snaps wilkie button

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

4-Shipp

floor cover plate pins inspection cover snaps wilkie button

Post by 4-Shipp »

I just finished my annual and I am short several of the small stainless pins used to hold the inspection hole covers in place on the floor of the cockpit. I didn't find a part number in the IPC and I haven't seen them in the Spruce catalogue or other places. Anyone know where to get them? Thanks.
Bruce Shipp
former owners of N49CP, '53 C170B
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

Bruce, these are available from Cessna. I just got some a couple weeks ago, but I don't have the PN in front of me. The 170 parts catalog list them as "49390 - Stud Tri-mount" which you wont find, but they used them in the later Cessnas as well under a different part number. I'll get the PN for you tomorrow when I'm at the hanger.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Bruce
I think I have a few surplus to my needs. E-mail me how many you want with your address and I'll have a look.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Are you guys talking about the round inspection covers and the rectangular one behind the flap handle that are held down with screws and tinnermans in my airplane? 8O
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Bruce,

The rectangular cover behind the flap handles IS held down with screws. The round ones under the carpet are held with the snap pins being discussed. Unless you are real careful when removing these covers, the pins go flying and can be hard to find. As they get lost, they get replaced by screws held by tinnerman nuts. In my airplane I'm down to about half and half. If someone finds a source that isn't extravagantly expensive, I'd like to acquire a handfull. The pins are about 1/4 to 3/8 inch long and resemble a large-head rivet with the shank split in three and spread slightly to provide the snap action.

I'd also like to find source for the longer retaining pins that hold the baggage area rear wall in place. The same type is used to hold the instrument panel cover. They have a head about 1/2 inch in diameter and a long narrow flat spring loop on the business end.

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

N9149A wrote:Are you guys talking about the round inspection covers and the rectangular one behind the flap handle that are held down with screws and tinnermans in my airplane? 8O
As Miles said, these are spring clips for the round inspection covers. What''s nice about them is they have a very flat head so they don't wear thru the carpet like screws.
Karl
ASW-20BL
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

Bruce, the new Cessna part number for these studs is S1878-1. These are 57¢ apiece at Hill Aircraft http://www.cessnaparts.com/parts.cfm
Last edited by lowNslow on Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Karl
ASW-20BL
4-Shipp

Post by 4-Shipp »

Thanks for the info. The rectangular panel as well as the rounds on my aircraft are held in place with these pins. I am a few short and leave the holes in the rectangular plate.

I am also very carefull to remove them from the front rearward and replace them from the rear forward. Otherwise, when you drop one, it will roll towards the rear and into an open inspection hole! If I could putt with such accuracy I would play golf for a living and make enough to pay someone to mess with the little buggers!

Bruce
Bruce Shipp
former owners of N49CP, '53 C170B
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

lowNslow wrote:Bruce, the new Cessna part number for these studs is S1878-1. These are 57¢ apiece at Hill Aircraft http://www.cessnaparts.com/parts.cfm
If you go to cessnaparts.com, the order form will tell you that minimum order on these is 100 at $0.57 each. I bit the bullet and placed an order, but in just a couple of hours, Hill called and asked if I really wanted that many. They said on items like this, if you add a comment on the order form, you can order as few as you need. Good customer service, I'd say.
cessna170bdriver wrote:I'd also like to find source for the longer retaining pins that hold the baggage area rear wall in place. The same type is used to hold the instrument panel cover. They have a head about 1/2 inch in diameter and a long narrow flat spring loop on the business end.
At Hill, I also found fastener # S1898-2, which is the replacement for the ones I mentioned in that earlier post. They replace item -65 on page 67C in the 170B IPC, as well as item -13 on page 76. They work a bit differently than the ones that came with my airplane, but the heads are the same and look identical when installed. Hill has them for $0.21 each and you can order as few as you need.

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne