Correct axle nut size?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Craig,

Have you looked into the True-lock nuts ( http://www.true-lock.com/ )?

Does anyone have experience with the True-lock system?
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Have you seen the price of the True Lock?
When I first saw that system I was amazed to imagine anyone would go to the trouble and expense to invent such a complicated and expensive replacement scheme for a cotter pin. It reminded me of the $1800 guvmint hammer story.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Looks like another solution in search of a problem.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Yeah. And their website tries to promote their system with a "fear factor" by implying that there's all sorts of dangerous failures of the standard cotter pin systems, with all sorts of implied "liability" of the original system.
I couldn't help but notice they, themselves, are a LLC company. :lol:
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
Metal Master

true loc's

Post by Metal Master »

When the Tru Lock system first came out a company representative came out to the FBO of which I was the director of maintenance then and tried to sell me on the concept. I do not remember if we purchased or he gave us one system to try out. I never took it out of the package for several years it sat on my desk as a paperweight. He called regularly trying to get me to purchase more. I really thought they were a pretty neat little concept. Sort of a high tech solution to a cotter pin. Every one thought it was really neat when I showed the package to them. Ultimately I just couldn’t bring myself to the point of finding a problem that the cotter pin created that it needed to be replaced by such a complicated gadget that did not provide as much benefit as Tru-Loc claimed.
A&P, IA, New owner C170A N1208D, Have rebuilt some 50 aircraft. So many airplanes, So little time!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

OK, so (imagination running wild here....hang in here with me).... There one is with a "free demonstrator" and nothing to do with it. So one decides to install it on one's own airplane..
Then, one day, while repacking wheel bearings, the phone rings.... You walk over and answer the phone,...another telemarketer.. :evil: and then turn around and cannot find that dang, unique, little Tru Lock nut! Where did I PUT IT??!! 8O
Time running out. Gotta go fly... .... no Tru Lock nut... grrrr.
Oh for the simplicity of that humble little cotter pin. :lol:
CraigH

Post by CraigH »

I've got the Castle 1-1/2-16 Cessna 06-11900 inbound from AC Spruce. Hopefully it's the right one. I'm ready to start putting some wear on the new 800 tires. :)
Craig Helm
Graham, TX (KRPH)
2000 RV-4
ex-owner 1956 Cessna 170B N3477D, now CF-DLR