Engine Parts Sources?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

cessna170bdriver

Engine Parts Sources?

Post by cessna170bdriver »

I've searched for new parts for my O-300A until I've run out of patience . Superior has almost everything on the "Continental At Overhaul 100% Parts Replacement List" except for the crankcase through bolts (part #'s 531211 and 537466). The only place I found them on net was in England (Skycraft, Ltd). 8O Anyone know of a domestic source for the bolts, or other recommended sources for the other parts? I plan on new ECI Titan cylinders. Anyone know the best source for those?

While I'm at it, can anyone recommend overhaul shops for the carb, mags, and a Jasco alternator. Does my Cessna oil filter adapter need any special inspection?

Also, when sending the big stuff like case, crank, cam, rods, etc. out for inspection and/or repair, do I need to specify what I want done to each part, or just ask that they be yellow tagged? Are there procedures they should have on hand and follow for each part, or is it more generic in nature? I'm thinking of using Nickson's Machine Shop in Santa Maria, CA. http://www.nicksons.com/faa.htm My two reasons for considering them are that they are who Lycon uses, and they're within driving distance. I could call and ask them the same question, but I'd rather sound more like I know what I'm doing. :wink:

My AI will set me up in his shop so he can monitor my work on the assembly. He'll have all the AD's and SB's available, and I'll have the parts and overhaul manuals, but are there any other "gotcha's" that I might run into? Any special tools that the well-equipped AI's shop wouldn't already have?

I have done this once before, but it's been 15 years, and I've slept since then. :?

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Can you not NDT the through bolts, and reuse them?
auxtank

Post by auxtank »

When I bought two ECI Titan cylinder assemblies a year ago, Chris Baker, cbaker@premiumaircraftparts.com, was helpful with my request that the cylinders be mailed USPS to Alaska rather than shipped via UPS.

UPS to Alaska only comes billed as a "two day" or an "overnight" shipment. Shipping on heavy parts can get quite spendy with either choice.

Chris had no problem arranging to have them taken to a post office.

Ironically, Chris and Premium Aircraft Parts were offering free shipping via UPS ground...but, there is no UPS ground service to Alaska.

I found Chris advertising the cylinders at a very good price at Barnstormers.com and referenced that advertisement when I made initial contact.

Gordon Sandy
N4002V
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Aircraft Specialties had them. 531211 at $91 ea
and 537466 at $30.85 ea

Check them out

http://www.aircraft-specialties.com/sho ... MIT=Search

http://www.aircraft-specialties.com/sho ... MIT=Search[/url]
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
cessna170bdriver

c170b53 wrote:Can you not NDT the through bolts, and reuse them?
I did that last time. They are long bolts and they get a lot of torque. There is a fair amout of stretch in them when installed. Also, they are on the list of parts to be replaced if you want to call it an overhaul. It may not really mean much, but in 2500 hrs total time in service, they've held the case together for well over a billion combustion events. With any luck, the total time at the next runout will be around 4300 hours.
N9149A wrote:Aircraft Specialties had them. 531211 at $91 ea
and 537466 at $30.85 ea

Thanks for the info Bruce! At $90+ each for seven and $30+ each for the other two they are a bit spendy. 8O I see that Aircraft Specialties also carries ECI cylinders; maybe they'll give me a break if I do one-stop shopping with them. (Yeah, right) The ones I saw advertised in England were 20 pounds sterling each for both types. No idea how hard or expensive to get them here, or even if they are really new certified parts.

Miles
Miles

— Thomas Browne
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Miles

I'm sure there may be some strench in the bolts but their not suppose to stretch by design like a lot of the newer bolts used today in the auto industry.

Like a good friend of mine would say. "These old bolts are proven parts the new ones are just new."

Can't help but wonder if the bolts where always on the "replace list". Or perhaps liability has made them brittle over the years. :D
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Miles

On the advice of a few friends I used Nixson for a lot of the items on a 220 Franklin a few years ago. They are not the cheapest but they are excellent.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

Miles, on scanning the web I ran into this discussion on the Swift site.
http://www.napanet.net/~arbeau/swift/o300.htm

While it doesn't answer your specific question, it contains some interesting stuff on the C145/O300 that I had not seen before that may prove useful. This guy seems to be a real guru on these engines.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
HA

Post by HA »

hey Miles, I used to use Nickson's for all our cases and Aircraft Specialties for all the steel (crank, cam, rods, gears, etc) - but AS ticked me off once by screwing up the threads for the crank gear bolt on a Lyc crank and wouldn't own up to it. 15 yrs ago, but I have a long memory...

Nickson's always gave me great service, and it's a bonus for you that they're close. I wonder if Heinz is still there?

I second your opinion about wanting to replace the through bolts, not just for the stretch but also the threads get a lot of wear and if you keep reusing them eventually the threads will let you down. worth the money for new ones. replace all your cyl base nuts too, same reason plus wear and tear from those cheap-a** cyl base nut wrenches rounding them off.

make sure your (or your IA's) torque wrench has been calibrated in recent memory, too. we have to do ours (repair station) every year now, mine gets more wear being calibrated than being used anymore :roll:
'56 "C170 and change"
'52 Packard 200
'68 Arctic Cat P12 Panther
"He's a menace to everything in the air. Yes, birds too." - Airplane
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

lowNslow wrote:Miles, on scanning the web I ran into this discussion on the Swift site.
http://www.napanet.net/~arbeau/swift/o300.htm

While it doesn't answer your specific question, it contains some interesting stuff on the C145/O300 that I had not seen before that may prove useful. This guy seems to be a real guru on these engines.
Yeah, Jim Montague knows about as much as anyone about the small Continentals -- A65 through O300. He'll answer specific O300 questions if you email him: swift31b@aol.com. But please do him the courtesy to make sure he hasn't already answered your question on the Swift web site. Although he's mainly known to Swifters, he loves all kinds of airplanes -- he's helped me with my 170 too. (I bought my Swift from him about a year ago.) 8)

Best Regards,

John
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
cessna170bdriver

HA,

Thanks for the info. My AI first recommended AS but says Nixsons will do as good a job. I really like the idea of NOT having to crate this stuff up and turn it over to the freight handlers.

As for the nuts, they are also on the At Overhaul 100% Parts Replacement List also. For planning purposes, I am using the list I found on Superior's website:

http://www.superiorairparts.com/RIO/Con ... t_0300.pdf

I don't know how this list compares to the recommendations in the overhaul manual. I lost my manuals about 2 moves ago :oops: , so I've ordered the CD version from McCurtain. I don't plan on buying any piece parts until I know that the big stuff is usable, and I'll have the manual by then.

My AI and I get along well, so I'm sure he won't have any problem with me checking the cal on his wrenches. Thanks for the heads-up.

Checking Nixson's web site, Heinz Hubbert and Dennis Leal are the two "Chief inspectors".

Miles
Miles

— Thomas Browne
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

Miles, have you tried Fresno Airparts for parts. I know they carry lots of stuff for the small Continental engines. Might be worth a call. 559-237-4863
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

I had a similiar ticked off experience with the Dallas folks.
cessna170bdriver

lowNslow wrote:Miles, have you tried Fresno Airparts for parts. I know they carry lots of stuff for the small Continental engines. Might be worth a call. 559-237-4863
Thanks Karl,

I bought a lot of parts from them when I overhauled this engine back in 1990, but so far I have only been looking online, and I am surprised that Fresno Airparts is not there. I did find them referenced on a pilot forum, where I read that they have a 30% surcharge for tracability paperwork. Checking Trade-A-Plane where FAP has been on page 3 for a million years, I see that they have the 531211 bolts for $29.50. Even with the paperwork, they are less than half what AS gets 8O . They don't take checks or money orders, but at those prices, maybe it's worth the hassle of getting a money order. Anyone know of a reason why I shouldn't buy from them?

Miles
Miles

— Thomas Browne
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Miles,

I have used Fresno Airparts and have always had good service :D from them. The no credit card or personel check policy :( has been a bit of a hassle but worth the trouble.
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"