Sunscreens and Checklists

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

pilotlaw

Sunscreens and Checklists

Post by pilotlaw »

I keep entering these questions as I think of them:

Made my own checklist from the AFM, but wonder if that's legal, particularly for teaching/checkriding in the 170B. Anyone know where to get a legal (if one is required or exists) '54 170B checklist (all flight regimes)?

Also, cannot find in Aircraft Spruce catalog if they carry the roll-up, insulation-looking sunscreens that go inside your windshield - the ones you cut yourself to match the contours of your windscreen? Anyone bought that lately? If so, from where and for how much, AND, what's the best way to buy it?

Bruce Hain
4234N
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Hope you don't mind my "editing" your choice of Subject line "More questions-more advice" to the present one. (I visit an "Old Iron-Tractor" type discussion forum, and the same old questions are forever asked... something like..." Hey. I've got a problem..." and it's always the same problems addressed hundreds of times...but the problem is no one can research or search the archived message threads because they ALL have subject lines completely un-related to what the real subject is.) :wink:

Any way....

Re: checklists. There is no such thing as a "FAA Approved" checklist for FAR Part 91 operations. If you wish to develop your own checklists to deal with operations such as Normal, Abnormal and Emgergency, or anything else....just have at it. Use it with enjoyment. (Just don't expect the FAA, the mfr, or your lawyer to approve it.) A checklist is not a "how to fly" manual. Neither is it an "instruction" manual on how to make a bad event get better. It's simply a list of things to remind you to check in case you don't trust your memory.
The original Owner's Manuals, published by Cessna had a set of "normal" checklists already included in them, but no "abnormal/emergency" checklists were ever published for the 170 by Cessna that I know of. There are after-market checklists you can purchase for U.S. dollars, if you have too many of them, but you'd most likely be able to develop your own checklist by simply considering which items you commonly find that you regularly forget to perform when operating your airplane, ... and which items do you expect you might forget should an abnormal situation develop. You might be surprised to find you're better at writing checklists applicable to your own operation than some girl in Florida wrote for her boss who sells them thru Spotty's on-line aviation apparel. (grin)
Lots of our own members/participants have also written their own checklists, and perhaps a few of them might share them here.

As for sunscreens, ... The Kennon brand of such sun-shields are offered by Spruce as their PN 7672 in a custom order basis, for about $150, but I've seen the exact same material (an aluminized type of bubble-wrap) sold at hobby shops, WalMart, and Home Depot by the roll for only a few bucks, the only difference being the rolls are not "serged" with cloth. (Something anyone with a sewing machine can do quite easily. The serging is available at any fabric shop.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Hope you don't mind my "editing" your choice of Subject line "More questions-more advice" to the present one. (I visit an "Old Iron-Tractor" type discussion forum, and the same old questions are forever asked... something like..." Hey. I've got a problem..." and it's always the same problems addressed hundreds of times...but the problem is no one can research or search the archived message threads because they ALL have subject lines completely un-related to what the real subject is.) :wink:

Any way....

Re: checklists. There is no such thing as a "FAA Approved" checklist for FAR Part 91 operations. If you wish to develop your own checklists to deal with operations such as Normal, Abnormal and Emgergency, or anything else....just have at it. Use it with enjoyment. (Just don't expect the FAA, the mfr, or your lawyer to approve it.) A checklist is not a "how to fly" manual. Neither is it an "instruction" manual on how to make a bad event get better. It's simply a list of things to remind you to check in case you don't trust your memory.
The original Owner's Manuals, published by Cessna had a set of "normal" checklists already included in them, but no "abnormal/emergency" checklists were ever published for the 170 by Cessna that I know of. There are after-market checklists you can purchase for U.S. dollars, if you have too many of them, but you'd most likely be able to develop your own checklist by simply considering which items you commonly find that you regularly forget to perform when operating your airplane, ... and which items do you expect you might forget should an abnormal situation develop. You might be surprised to find you're better at writing checklists applicable to your own operation than some girl in Florida wrote for her boss who sells them thru Spotty's on-line aviation apparel. (grin)
Lots of our own members/participants have also written their own checklists, and perhaps a few of them might share them here.

As for sunscreens, ... The Kennon brand of such sun-shields are offered by Spruce as their PN 7672 in a custom order basis, for about $150, but I've seen the exact same material (an aluminized type of bubble-wrap) sold at hobby shops, WalMart, and Home Depot by the roll for only a few bucks, the only difference being the rolls are not "serged" with cloth. (Something anyone with a sewing machine can do quite easily. The serging is available at any fabric shop.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)