Tire Plys

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Dave Clark wrote:"The biggest problem with axle mounted cone bearings installation is "chatter". This is caused by excessive end-play which is removed when tightening the axle nut."

Hey George I enjoyed the lengthy post and learned some things from it. Very interesting on the oil bathed info. In the quote above do you mean that if one of our wheel nuts is a little loose you can get a wheel or brake chatter? I've been trying to chase this down on my plane and perhaps this is the cause although I would think the nut would have to be awfully loose.
I was speaking of wheel-bearing chatter due to insufficiently seated bearings, not brake noise. (Chattering brakes can be several things. If you are hearing the caliper rattle in it's mounts it may be due to having a rigid line all the way to the calipers. Replace the last 12 inches or so with flexible line and I'll bet the rattle will go away. If you already have flexible line, then you are probably witnessing an out-of-true disc, or a disc which has been overheated and/or "coned". Inspect the disc for hot-spots (which will look extra-shiny in coin-sized areas when compared to the overall appearance of the disc), and imagine a straight edge laid across the disc from outer-diameter to outer-diameter.
The straight-edge should contact the disc friction surface equally at all points, or the disc is "coned" from escessive heat. The only fix is to replace the disc and friction pads.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Robert Eilers

Tire Plys

Post by Robert Eilers »

I followed the advice generously provided on my concern about the disk dragging on the pucks after installing new 700 6x6 tires. Looking hard at the problem, I discovered that it was the detachable puck (inner, nearest the wheel), the puck that must be removed in order to pull the wheel off the axle, that was dragging against the disk. After following gahorn's advice, I was able to reduce the drag some what - but drag persisted. I put the whell back on - tightening the axel nut as suggested - and test fly the aircraft. I did not experience any tendency to trun toward the wheel with the dragging puck and the aircraft rolled fine otherwise. I can hear a slight sreech, screech, screech as the wheel rolls (with headset off, etc.) Disk does not seem hot - sooo - I guess I probably over reacted to the dragging - happens when you don't know what you are doing. Again - thanks for all the help.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

gahorn wrote: ... (The wheel, without brakes installed, should freely spin on the axle several revolutions before stopping.)
:wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
cessna170bdriver

Re: Tire Plys

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Robert Eilers wrote:... Disk does not seem hot - sooo - I guess I probably over reacted to the dragging - happens when you don't know what you are doing. Again - thanks for all the help.
In this case probably better to overreact than underreact. Now you know more than you did before you started. After a while you begin to develop a sense of what to get excited about and what is normal. It gets better as you go along.

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Thanks George I'll check for coning as that's the only thing left. I'm sure it's brake chatter but you got me wondering as I've never heard of bearing chatter. I'm hoping to save up some "plane Bucks", or "units" as some call them. (1 unit=$1,000) With the next unit I want to go to dual puck anyway.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180