Eng. Overhaul

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

N3243A

Post by N3243A »

George, I was under the general impression that "our" Continental O-300 cylinder assemblies are the cheapest cylinders to buy new from no less than 3 sources (thankfully we have this choice) and that the core value on older run-outs is just about zilch as the labor and parts to overahaul approach that of new? My old cyls are 34 year old 2nd run rusty run-outs that I thought would look best in the garden inverted with petunias and marigolds planted in them :D. If one had 1st run late model cyls, it might make a little more sense to overhaul, but not in my case.

I would think the core value of your run-out 520 cyls would be much better because they are a more expensive jug....
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Yeah, I imagine that's correct, Bruce. (Although I once sold an old, cracked O-300 cylinder THREE different times for $20! :P My wife held a garage sale, and I placed the cyl. in a box labeled "Mystery Item - Cost $800 when new!" Two different people paid $20 for it ...I had figured someone would make a lamp out of it ... but each person laughed it off, left it, and neither wanted their money back! 8O Go figure! Next day after the sale, one of them called back and asked how many of those did I have. When I told them I had four of them, he came back over and bought all 4 for $20 each! I have no idea what he intended to do with them, but he left happy as a clam.) :roll:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bill Hart

Post by Bill Hart »

That is too funny. We are having a yard sale this weekend and I now have four mystery items.