Flour bombing

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Dave

Flour bombing

Post by Dave »

Does anyone have any good suggestions for putting together a flour bombing competition? Good altitude, ground markers, bomb construction, etc.
:D
beeliner

Post by beeliner »

Here is the formula used by the Ninety-Nines:
We have used this at our local airport flyins

The spot landing and flour bombing contest are often run together. For flour bombing, a pilot and “bombardier” are given two or more “bombs.” These bombs are commonly flour in a paper lunch bag taped closed. The pilot stays in the airport traffic pattern and overflies the runway. The bomb target may be off to the side of the runway in a dirt area and marked with a tarp, ribbons, or more flour. On a “bombing run”, the bombardier tosses the bomb from the airplane, hoping that it hits the center of the target. After the plane’s final bombing run, the plane returns to the airport and has one chance to land on “the spot.” This spot often is a line drawn across the runway with flour. Awards in both events are often given for the best effort, and also “needs more improvement.”
KMMFAMILY

flower bombing

Post by KMMFAMILY »

This sounds like a great idea for the next fly-in! Thanks for the idea!
GAHorn

Re: flower bombing

Post by GAHorn »

KMMFAMILY wrote:This sounds like a great idea for the next fly-in! Thanks for the idea!
An old toilet makes an excellent target. :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Yes they do, I have dropped a bomb into one more than once! :P
Harold Holiman

Post by Harold Holiman »

George sitting on an old tiolet would make an even better target :D :P :roll:

Harold
N92CP
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Everyone plan on making the 2007 convention and I'll see what I can arrange! :lol:
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I'm sure we could talk Dave Millar into arranging some time for this in 2006. No need to wait till 2007. :D :D :D :D :twisted:
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Dave can do the sitting at his own convention. :lol: Or, Bruce, you can certainly volunteer! :twisted: I'll not be "moved" to sit thru two of them. :lol:
Now,...there's an idea!! Bomb-A-Director! We can sell the bombs to the participants to support the Assn!! You can be a real comodian, Bruce! The "life of the potty!". Come on! Volunteerism at it's finest! :lol:
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Jeezz not until 2007 :( .

Hay maybe by 2007 one of us could perfect a flour bag smart bomb! :D
Last edited by johneeb on Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

N9149A wrote:I'm sure we could talk Dave Millar into arranging some time for this in 2006. No need to wait till 2007. :D :D :D :D :twisted:
Guess who started the thread!
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

gahorn wrote: Now,...there's an idea!! Bomb-A-Director! We can sell the bombs to the participants to support the Assn!! You can be a real comodian, Bruce! The "life of the potty!". Come on! Volunteerism at it's finest! :lol:
Water balloons!
Doug
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

cessna170bdriver wrote:
N9149A wrote:I'm sure we could talk Dave Millar into arranging some time for this in 2006. No need to wait till 2007. :D :D :D :D :twisted:
Guess who started the thread!
Got catch Miles.

One of the things that irritates me about this forum is for the most part people don't identify themselves past their logg-in name.

I can't tell you how many times people have come up to me at fly-ins and such and started talking to me about something we discussed on the web and I have no idea who I'm talking to. They usually know me because I show you my picture in my avator and I sign my posts with my real name.
I realize the picture is a little advanced for most but everyone can sign their name. I've also offered to help anyone with the picture avator.

Ok I'll step off my soup box
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Roesbery

Post by Roesbery »

I know most of your ideas on bombing selected people is in jest. But some people might not think of the hazards involved. Have any of you ever seen the results of low level water bombing of wild fires. The water will trim (as in cut) right through the branches of trees in the outline of the water mass. Looks like a giant took a big bite out of the tree. And granite bolders that have been hit are broken and scattered. A water ballon where the water is confined would act like a cannon ball. a sack of flour also if it was heavy enough. I remember one time when I was dropping supplies to a camp and my bombadier was a little slow on the trigger. A sack of horse feed went in the front of a wall tent and took everything in it right out the back and collapsed the tent. Kinda funny from the air but when the guys got back to camp that evening tired and hungry, they wer'nt too happy with a bombed mess tent.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Thanks, Roesbery, for the heads-up. You were right, of course. It was all in jest about really bombing folks, ...except for Directors. They're used to it! :lol: