170A Progress Report

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Metal Master

170A Progress Report

Post by Metal Master »

Yesterday evening I was informed (requested) by Phyllis that I could not work late on the 170A because it was interfering with her sleep :cry: . She would not edify me as to why. Only that their were many complicating factors. So I knocked of when the mosquitoes came into the garage about 9:30.
All of the control cables are run through the fuselage, the rudder bars and pilot’s side pedals are installed with the master cylinders along with newly manufactured brake lines. I riveted & screwed in the cabin entry steps in. (Note) Right side weld repaired with airfoil shaped tubing from Aircraft Spruce. Weird that it looks just like the original except for the little anti slip off of the end feature that I added. I ordered new rudder return springs through Broadies aircraft last week but they haven’t come yet (the ones mounted to the rudder bars). The old springs were Home Depot Aviation hardware spec. The floor panels and consul are riveted in place along with the seat rails. I really like the McFarland Seat rails only having six holes piloted. It made fitting them to the original floor panel pattern much easier. The trim wheel housing is riveted in; the flap handle is temporarily bolted in. I straighten out the pilot’s seat, which was slightly racked because of the damage caused to the cabin and seat rails when the gearbox was ripped apart in the previous owners ground loop. I put the seat on the seat rails and climbed in for a little hanger flying session. Without the engine installed the tail up on a workbench and the seat scooted forward the gear is cambered in so the cabin is way off the ground while sitting in the seat (real cool) 8). I think I might hang a poster of sky in front of the cabin to add to the effect. The new non Standard Green Tint windshield should be here next week. I am not going to install the firewall until after the windshield is installed. I hope to be taking the completed fuselage to the airport the end of June :lol: .

I Test flew my friens 182 B last week after repairing the tail cone and reinstalling the stab and verticals. It was blast with the 8:50 X 6 tires and Sportsman STOL. We had to Shuttle fuel with the 140A from Harvey in cans to Monroe, as no fuel was available on Thursday. I rigged the 120 ailerons Saturday after Steve finished installing the recovered right Wing. He called Sunday and said it flew great considering the Glider Gas present in the atmosphere.

I am hoping to have the 170A ready to fly by the end of July. If only the wing goes quickly and I am not restricted on my shop hours by the B & C.

I,m hopin my code words work

Regards,
Jim
A&P, IA, New owner C170A N1208D, Have rebuilt some 50 aircraft. So many airplanes, So little time!