First flight

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

steve grewing

First flight

Post by steve grewing »

Hello,
I wanted to let everyone know I am now a Cessna 170 driver. I put s/n 18343 into the air Saturday (5-28-05) morning for the first time. I told my instructor that I was very nervous and had 20+ years of rust to overcome. I requested he make the first landing incase it was squirrelly. It was not. It was last annualed in 1979, I bought it in 1990. I'm working on meeting FAA and insurance requirements now. Now I can make it to a fly-in. Engine is working great. Main irritations I have is the carb heat knob/cable continually migrates out about 1/2" and the (old Whelen) strobes can be heard loading in the intercom and also in the radio when transmitting. I've had no success correcting either.
I find the forums to have a wealth of information and appreciate the contributions to completing my project.
See ya.

Steve
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Great to hear you're back in the air. :!:

As for the carb air cable creep one fix is to pull the inner cable out and put a slight wave or kink in it for added friction. Do a little bit at a time and test the feel of it before hooking it back up.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

THAT's GREAT STEVE! Bet the rust fell off and those landings were good!
Fly on over to GPM and we will introduce you to the 6 170's here. Midway's annual pankcake breakfast flyin is this Saturday, and I believe Gainsville's really nice flyin is the next one after that.

Got the cylinder back from Sentry Thursday and put it on Saturday. Still have the exhaust to do, and the rest of the annual. Hopefully this coming weekend will allow for that to be done.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
steve grewing

First flight

Post by steve grewing »

Dave,

Thanks and I will try the "kink". I was wondering if that was a fix for the creeping. I was concerned about the uneven wear it would cause on the wire.

Joe,

Some of the rust came off but certainly not all of it. I probably won't make Midway but Gainesville is a possibility if I get my BFR and insurance requirements met. I hope you complete your annual and get your plane in the air again.
See ya soon.

Steve
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Steve Grewing wrote:
Main irritations I have is the carb heat knob/cable continually migrates out about 1/2"
Steve, I had the same problem with mine when I first got it (1982 8O ).

I don't know about the ragwing, but the B model has a small flat spring with a notch crimped into it attached to the carb heat butterfly arm. The crimped notch rests in a toothed part brazed or welded to the side of the carb heat box. (I don't have my IPC with me, so I'm making up part names as I go along.)

The teeth on the part attached to the carb heat box had become rounded over the years (less than 1300 hours on the airplane at the time), allowing the flat spring to slide too easily. To solve the creeping cable problem, I simply filed the teeth with a small triangular file to deepen them and sharpen the edges. No more creeping carb heat cable in the ensuing 1400 hours.

Hope I've described this well enough to help you.

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
steve grewing

Post by steve grewing »

Miles,

I have already tensioned the slider against the "teeth". It still creeps. I'll try filing them the next time I take the lower cowl off - at the first oil change.

Thanks,

Steve
C170BDan

170 flying

Post by C170BDan »

Steve,

Good to hear another 170 is flying in North Texas! When the weather works out right and the fly-in dates coordinate.... this Texas 170 group is a fun crew.

Hope you can make it up to Gainesville. Here is the link to the info...

http://www.geocities.com/texasaaa/2005aaaflyin.pdf
Dan
1956 170B N3467D