Simple Green

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

N2865C

Simple Green

Post by N2865C »

I haven't tried it, but the price is right........

From the 120/140 site.

Check the Simple Green website, they have just come out with an "aluminum friendly" version of Simple Green. In fact they are offering a free quart of the stuff via their website.
http://industrial.simplegreen.com/ind_prod_ext.php
John
N2865C
"The only stupid question is one that wasn't asked"
djbaker

Post by djbaker »

Their website makes it sound too good to be true, but I'll go for the free sample.
ghostrider

Simple Green Extreme

Post by ghostrider »

I have tried it on my 170A and am quite satisfied that it is not doing any harm. I read all of the MSDS info before I bought it from Aircraft Spruce who is the distributor. :lol:

Ghostrider
Richard Hall
Ghostrider Aviation
trake

Post by trake »

anybody get their free sample yet? Im still waiting
Tracy Ake
1955 cessna 170b
sn26936
N2993D
N2540V

Simple Green - Free Sample

Post by N2540V »

I received my free sample of Aviation Simple Green last Friday (but my wife took it to use on her plane instead of mine).

What was interesting is that it is in a spray bottle, but the included instructions described various dilutions with water. None of the instructions described use at full strength.

The bottle did state to spray some on a moist cloth.
Jim
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

I just hit the website & requested my free sample. Is it indeed a quart? surprising, usually those free samples are about big enough to clean (maybe) one wheel.
I've been using regular simple green for degreasing the airplane (& my hands afterward) for several years. Never noticed any ill effects, even though the military testing claimed some. I don't have much bare aluminum on mine, where I use the simple green anyway. I guess if ya took a piece of bare aluminum & immersed it in simple green for a month or two maybe something'd happen.

Eric
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

zero.one.victor wrote: I guess if ya took a piece of bare aluminum & immersed it in simple green for a month or two maybe something'd happen.

Eric
Isn't that the concern re: extended exposure @ lap joints? I know you said you don't have bare aluminum, but if that stuff was able to work it's way into a joint getting by, say cracked paint at a lap or rivet, then you've trapped that stuff inside. I use Simple Green a lot on various things at home and I like it. Using it on a surface you can readily wash off is one thing. My concern would be the "seepage factor" into those nooks and crannies you can't get to.
Doug
djbaker

Post by djbaker »

I got my FREE sample today and it's a FULL bottle. I'm hiding it from my wife and can't wait to try it. The instructions say it can be used full streingth to degrease an engine or, diluted per a chart included, it can be used on windshields. Impressive new bottle
N2865C

Post by N2865C »

I just got my sample today. Rarely in my opinion does a product exceed their advertising claims, but I thought this stuff was amazing. Spray it on, let it sit for a minute and the grease and oil just melt like butter, You just wipe it off and your done!! I actually enjoyed cleaning the belly of my plane (I can't believe I said that ) :lol:.
John
N2865C
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Simple Green is a product that has enjoyed wide acceptance as a general cleaning agent for various purposes,....mostly non aviation uses. It was condemned by the Air Force for use on airplanes due to corrosion effects. (Simple Green did not meet Mil-Specs for aircraft cleaning purposes, and corrosion levels was unacceptable in the view of the Air Force.) Simple Green's mfr announced that their product was not to be used for aircraft until further notice.
Now comes "Extreme Simple Green" which claims to be useful for aircraft and which meets "Boeing Specification D6-17487P". I've read recently that they still don't make any claims that it meets any Mil Spec., therefore I contacted one of our own who happens to have access to Boeing Specs, and he emailed a copy of that Boeing Spec to me. (To protect the party, I've chosen not to reveal his identity,...he/she knows who they are and if/when they wish to be identified they are welcome to be so,....but I certainly thank them for the assistance in obtaining a copy of the Boeing Spec.)
Having read thru the spec, I did not see any test that would clear the product of any corrosion complaints on 2024-T3 aluminum such as our airplanes are made of. Lots of Boeing acceptance for use on rubber, O-rings, paint, and steel, and even 7075 aluminum in sandwich construction (but not plain sheet aluminum)...and not for 2024 aluminum. According to the spec, it can even be used to clean runways, toilet-tanks, and waste tanks....but not a single approval for 2024 aluminum.
Therefore, If I am reading it correctly,..."Extreme Simple Green" meets Boeing Specs for use on all those runways, and rubber parts, and toilets and waste tanks that we have on, in, and around our 170's,... but no basis of approval for use ON the 2024 aluminum our 170's are constructed of can be implied by Boeing Spec. D6-17487P.
(However, Boeing Spec. D6-17487P does test for approval of the product for use as an acid stripper or as a paint remover, and it may even be used as a drain cleaner and/or a toilet flushing fluid...just not for use as a general cleaner on 2024 aluminum.) 8O
Just, FYI.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
N2865C

Post by N2865C »

Well thanks for spoiling the party George.... Ok, so what is an approved cleaner for 2024-T3 aluminum?
John
N2865C
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I personally use plain water mixed forcefully with WD 40 in an emulsion. No Boeing approval basis exists except in my mind, but WD 40 does meet several Mil specs. (I have no idea if any of them apply to aircraft cleaning purposes.) :wink:
But as for removing dirt, grime, exhaust, and crud...and also for corrosion prevention....it is excellent (as one might expect of a light oil.) Side benefits are: 1) it beads up water nicely preventing water spots, much like a nice wax-job, 2) it lubricates cables, hinges, doors, and control surface bearings, 3) it does not adversely affect plastic windows, 4) it dissolves grease and oil (from the belly and tailwheel assy), and 5) it is inexpensively available in gallon cans from many hardware, automotive, and "home depot" type stores. Two cups per two gallons of water seems to be about right for washing airplanes. I bought a cotton mop strictly for the purpose. (Wife is prohibited from using it.) After I rinse the airplane with the hose, I mop the solution onto the airplane, then rinse again. I then wipe the entire airplane down with old terry-cloth towels from my ex-wife's hope-chest. (Provides double-satisfaction.) It has extended my bare-aluminum airplane's polishing requirements immensely.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
N2865C

Post by N2865C »

OK, I feel better knowing that WD-40 meets several mil-specs, but what about that water? Any approval basis there? 8O
I contacted the Simple Green people and asked them to respond to your post. We'll see if they come through.
jc
John
N2865C
170C

Simple Green

Post by 170C »

Thanks George for checking out the new wonder cleaner. Maybe your "source" for the Boeing data could find out if Boeing feels this product "should not" be used on 2024 aluminum. Not having read the data I am curious if use on 2024 is prohibited, discourged or simply not mentioned. :? At $40 a gallon it should be good stuff! :wink: What do you think?

Better hope Jamie doesn't hand you the mop and show you the floors. :lol:
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
N3243A

Post by N3243A »

N2865C wrote:.... Ok, so what is an approved cleaner for 2024-T3 aluminum?
For expediency, I've been using gasoline sumped from the tanks or Coleman lantern fluid from my camping kit to cut belly grime.... 8O Wear a rubber glove and go to town. I wouldn't do it in a hangar though....