Rudder Cable Question

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

inman

Rudder Cable Question

Post by inman »

I recently had the rudder cables replaced on my 52 170B when the airframe was without any tail section and I am now ready to connect the new cables to the recently installed rudder in my hanger. We are quite sure we got the proper cables. I see one of the "eyes" that screw into the turnbarrel is longer than the other side and it appears that I have too much overall legnth with these new cables. The parts manual lists 2 different part numbers for the right and left "eyes" but the illustration does not make it look like they are different length and the mechanic who did the cable stringing said he remembers the new cables from McFarlane were equal in length. Maybe I had some kind of missfit with my old setup and I just need to get another shorter "eye". Any advice is appreciated.
Steve Inman
N2619D (52 170B)
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

You're sure the new cables are correct length? And you're sure you didn't lose/un-hook the rudder-pedal return springs?
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Patrick Phillips

mine the same

Post by Patrick Phillips »

I have a 49A I also installed new cables....I belive they were the same part number..... the pin eyes on one side are longer than the other...everything fits fine...If you have a cable thats to long check to make sure you didn't miss a pulley...
inman

Post by inman »

Thanks for the feedback, one of my springs had come loose up front. What an awfull job to to reconnect that little devil. Now everything seems fine
Steve Inman
N2619D (52 170B)