Sun 'n Fun

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

rudymantel

Sun 'n Fun

Post by rudymantel »

Flew to Sun 'n Fun yestrday (Friday)- beautiful day, 15-20k crossswind from the north. Seemed well attended, lots of planes in the vintage parking area but I only saw a few 170's. Lots of 195's and Stearmans. Splendid airshow includng fly-by's of a probably never-to-be-repeated formation- a flght of four, led by a P-51, an F-4 Phantom and an F-16 flying wing positions and a P-38, the famous Glacier Girl, in the slot. Pretty dramatic.
The best aerobatics, IMHO were flown by John Moore in his stock 220 hp Stearman. Not even an inverted fuel system. Beautifully flown. Precision aerobatics in such a plane are far more difficult and requires more skill than flyng overpowered high-performance planes like the Pitts, Extras, Lasers, Sukhois etc.
Returning, dropped off one friend at Orlando Executive ORL, then flew at night to take another friend to Tamiami Airport TMB, Miami, and landed at home field, North Perry HWO around 10:30PM. Hope some of you get/got to enjoy Sun'n Fun.
Rudy
C-170B N4490B
Plantation Florida
(Based at North Perry Airport,
KHWO, Miramar FL)
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

I watch the airshows at the Arlington fly-in every year, but just because I'm there. Kinda burned out on them-- T6's & Glassairs droning back & forth making passes & doing rolls & loops, and Pitts Yaks & Sukhoi's doing lomchevaks & other violent manuveurs-- amazing what Bud Grabnley & them guys can make an airplane do, but still the same old stuff. Two aerobatic acts I've enjoyed the most recently was a glider two years ago, and last year a Chipmunk. Quiet, graceful, with everything based on skill & proper technique-- not on sheer horsepower or musculing the stick around.

Eric
n3833v

Post by n3833v »

Yes, I saw the Glacier Girl start and run on Thursday. A great flyby on Fri with the "Four". Dale had a good 170 forum.
My first time.

John
John Hess
Past President 2018-2021
President 2016-2018, TIC170A
Vice President 2014-2016, TIC170A
Director 2005-2014, TIC170A
N3833V Flying for Fun
'67 XLH 900 Harley Sportster
EAA Chapter 390 Pres since 2006
K3KNT