Progressive Inspection Program

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Dave Clark

Progressive Inspection Program

Post by Dave Clark »

I'm should have approval for a progressive inspection program for my 170 by early next week. There are four inspection operations, one each quarter. It's all in Word format so if any one out there wants it I will share on an individual basis. It would have to be modified to fit your plane unless yours is exactly like mine (Lycoming, CS prop etc.) and chances are the next FAA review person will ask for something else (they always do) but it's a good place to start. Also it's for use under part 91 so if you're operating otherwise some other items would need to be added. I can send a CD. Because I'm a nice guy. :wink:
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Dave, I'm assuming that over the course of 4 quarterly inspections, eventually everything is looked at that would normally be done during an annual. So for a non-complex airplane, I was wondering what the advantage is to a progressive inspection-- less downtime? My annuals have never taken more than a (long) day, assuming there are no repairs or discrepancies that need to be addressed. I can see a progressive inspection for a complex/multi-engine/ big airplane, but for a 170, the little benefit derived doesn't seem like it's worth the hassle of getting a program approved. No offense.

Eric
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Dave, I'm in the book (directory) and would love a copy. I feel that any time a maintenance program has been re-examined it's a good thing to look at. (Besides, a progressive inspection program is usually a good preventive-maintenance schedule.) Thanks.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Ok George I'll send it out when I get the approval back.

Eric
I stopped signing other peoples logs long ago for liability reasons. An IA certificate has to be renewed every year and to do that you need to have signed off either four annuals, or 10 (I think) 337's, or have one airplane on a progressive, or attend an approved refresher course, or have a buddy in the local FSDO. My 181 was on a progressive but since I sold that I've been attending a free refresher in March put on by the Scottsdale FSDO. You need 8 hours there and they set it up so you have to go back the second day for two hours. I live 100 miles away. The first day is ok but the second is a pain. Plus we could have scheduled our stay in Tortola this year for two or three days longer. Then there's the fact that I Have To be here in March and if I miss it I'm screwed. Since I figure I'll have the 170 for a long time to come I finally decided to get the program going. Now I can go down to the refresher the first day if I want to but I don't have to. I don't like HAVING to do anything anymore.

From a practical standpoint the progressive is really not much additional work plus it's rather nice to divide it up a bit. For an airplane that's getting a lot of time on it each year (200+ hours) I think it's a good idea because it forces you to look it over during the year. I schedule the operations so that the last one due (April) has most of the big stuff in it because I'm in AZ with the hangar and tools.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
HA

Post by HA »

Hey Dave, don't give up on it your IA yet. I do the March 8hr course thing up here too, because the local federales decided that they really wanted us to sign all annuals etc off under the repair station. of course, they don't count those toward your 4 annuals, and I don't feel like annualling my bird 4 times a year.

BUT - now there are IA renewals on the internet, just like CFI stuff - Gleim.com/aviation. $25/yr. I didn't do it this year (the ND aviation symposium was here in Fargo so I didn't need to travel) but it looks like an easy option. I've done a couple of CFI renewals through Gleim and it works fine, they also went out of their way to help a couple of my guys on overseas projects get theirs renewed and the paperwork handled with much less hassle.

Hans
'56 "C170 and change"
'52 Packard 200
'68 Arctic Cat P12 Panther
"He's a menace to everything in the air. Yes, birds too." - Airplane
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

HA wrote:Hey Dave, don't give up on it your IA yet. I do the March 8hr course thing up here too, because the local federales decided that they really wanted us to sign all annuals etc off under the repair station. of course, they don't count those toward your 4 annuals, and I don't feel like annualling my bird 4 times a year.
Hans
Oh I'll never "give up" my IA :) I heard about the internet version at the refresher. I think I'd rather have the progressive. The four operations are not the same as four annuals, much easier just more paper. It does help me structure it better or should I say it structures me better so I don't mind.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
N2255D

Post by N2255D »

I would be interested in the progressive.. Takes me 3 to 4 days to do my annual now. Just got notice that the hangar rent is going up $100 a month. :evil: starting May 1st so I'm looking elsewhere for a hangar but haven't found any openings yet. If I move outside it would be a lot easier to do in stages. My hangar is 45 minutes away and I can move 30 minutes closer if I tiedown.
Walt Weaver
Spencer Airport (NC35)