Side window replacement

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

spiro

Post by spiro »

polishing acrylic windows works great. In a few hours you can make 'em look great. You can take out all the little invisible scratches that make the window hazy. They won't look new, it's too hard to get out *all* the scratches.

Bruce, the internal cracking you're seeing is called crazing and can't be buffed out. Like others have said it's from environment.

you've got to use pop rivets for the door windows. Don't use Cherry's, they're overkill for the application and will cause the next guy much grief when he goes to drill 'em out. As said, there's clearance for universal heads.

and yes, tuned exhausts do work, generically.
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

I just did my door windows and used a grey silicone foam rubber that I got at Boeing Surplus a few years ago. It was about 1/16" thick or maybe a little more with sticky back on one side. I stuck one to the frame then placed the window on it then stuck another layer on the window. With a slight squeeze it compressed just right for the rivets. I then used a razor to trim off the excess before painting. I think you could do the same with hardware store foam.

Be very sure you don't leave the airplane closed up with any freshly painted parts inside like trim pieces, panel overlay, window frames, etc. The fumes vent off for days and can easily check crack the plexiglass. The former owner of my 195 gave me that info as he had to replace an almost new windshield because he put the repainted instrument panel overlay in too soon and left the plane closed.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
N2865C

Post by N2865C »

spiro wrote: Don't use Cherry's, they're overkill for the application and will cause the next guy much grief when he goes to drill 'em out.
Spiro is right. I remember now that we used nonstructural aluminum rivets so the next guy could get them out. In my case the next guy was me.......
John
N2865C
"The only stupid question is one that wasn't asked"
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

How did we get from side windows to tuned exhaust?
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

gahorn wrote: Should I seperate these exhaust posts into their own category? What do you guys think? My judgment is affected. 8O :lol:
Yes.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Done. It's in The Hangar under : More on so-called Tuned Exhaust
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)