Rigging Flaps

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

simatos

Rigging Flaps

Post by simatos »

AME is has rigged flap cables however we find right flap still not tight up against wing. There is a little space left ahead of the forward flap roller in the guide. Dose anybody know if the roller should park firmly against the forward end of the guide? I guess if the push rod is shorteded it will bring the flap up a little more but I don't see any mention of this in the cessna 100 series manual for flap rigging. Any body been down this road?? Thanks G
N170BP

Post by N170BP »

The original owner's manual for the 170 (of all things) has the
complete procedure for rigging the flaps. I had to replace my
flap handle plus various internal components, and using the
procedure listed in the manual worked perfect for re-rigging
my flaps. I will suggest that you set the flap cable tension to
the low side of the tolerance, as having it set towards the middle
(or high) side just feels like way too much friction/tension on
the whole mechanism.
Bela P. Havasreti
'54 C-180
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Adjust the push rod. That's what the threaded rod end is for.
Has your AME ever worked on a Cessna single engine before?
BL
N170BP

Post by N170BP »

Yes.
Bela P. Havasreti
'54 C-180
GAHorn

Re: Rigging Flaps

Post by GAHorn »

simatos wrote:AME is has rigged flap cables however we find right flap still not tight up against wing. There is a little space left ahead of the forward flap roller in the guide. Dose anybody know if the roller should park firmly against the forward end of the guide? I guess if the push rod is shorteded it will bring the flap up a little more but I don't see any mention of this in the cessna 100 series manual for flap rigging. Any body been down this road?? Thanks G
It's acceptable while on the ground for the flaps to rest in a position not firmly pressued up against the flap track forward rest. When in flight, air loads will lift the flap up/forward against the stops. Just check during preflight inspections to lift up on the flaps firmly, to confirm they will travel up and against the stops properly.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
simatos

Post by simatos »

You guys thanks This now make it clear to me. Again I really appreciate all the pearls of wisdom. I think it is like golf: If ya have 400 years to spend eventually you get good at it but for us mortals we gotta rely on those that have gone down the road...enuf philosophy G