172 Conversion

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

djbaker

172 Conversion

Post by djbaker »

I need help. I have a 170A and my wife has a 172M. She won't sell it and get a taildragger, but she will convert her plane. Does anyone have information on who sell conversion kits today? I have found some names but they seem to have no way of contacting them. This will bring peace and harmony to our household and an interesting project for me.
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

A quick scan of the FAA STC database brought up the following:

STC Number:
SA296GL

This certificate issued to:
Williams Robert or Barbara

STC Holder's Address:
213 N. Clark Phone: 620-782-3317
Udall KS 67146
United States

Description of the Type Design Change:
Convert to conventional landing gear.

STC Number:
SA5433SW

This certificate issued to:
Del-Air

STC Holder's Address:
2121 S. Wildcat Way
Porterville CA 93257
United States

Description of the Type Design Change:
Conversion from tri-cycle to conventional landing gear. Cessna model 172P eligible only in utility category.

Good luck with the project!
Doug
Harold Holiman

Post by Harold Holiman »

Contact Frank Stephenson. He is a club member and has a 172 conversion. He can fill you in on who did his conversion and all of the pros and cons.

Harold
N92CP
170C

172 Tailwheel Conversions

Post by 170C »

My '56 172 was converted via a Ralph Bolen STC. Bolen's also had one for C-175's. That STC was purchased years ago by someone in Kansas. I have never been able to locate a means by which to contact the current STC holder. If you are successful, let me know how to do so. There used to be another conversiong STC called Texas Taildragger. That STC was purchased by someone in California. I did not do the conversion myself,but would be happy to try to answer your questions. However I do not know what the cost or time to accomplish is/was.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

I have a friend who's considering a t/w conversion to his Lyc powered 172. I didn't know Harry Dellicker (DelAir) held an STC to do that. great, I understand he's good people.
Sounds like the Bolen STC went to Bob Williams in Udall Kansas, who also holds the Avcon engine STC as wellas the Bush STOL cuff STC. I have heard numerous emphatic comments that he is NOT user-friendly! Nuff said.

Eric
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

I spoke with one of the Del-Air guys yesterday (not Harry) re: a C170 restoration they are doing. Sounded like good people. Maybe that would be the first place to start.
Doug
Robert Eilers

172 Conversion

Post by Robert Eilers »

Just a short endorsment for Harry Dellicker and DELAIR. I manage the Sheriff's Office aviation program which includes a highly modified Cessna 206. Harry did most of the modification work - great guy to work with - honest, straight shooter and really knows his stuff. We have done business with him for over 10 years.
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Here is another endorsement for Harry Dellicker at DelAir. In the aircraft modification business you here a lot of promises of an STC is just around the corner, what they don't tell you is that the corner is still 8 or 10 blocks away. When I had DelAir expand the fuel tanks on my 170 Harry promised the STC was just around the corner and he was right on with his estimate. Harry also promised that if the STC did not come through in time he would personally get a 337 Field Approvel for the modification.
Johneb
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Beware dealing with Williams. Check them out thoroughly first, or PM me.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Dave Clark wrote:Beware dealing with Williams. Check them out thoroughly first, or PM me.
I'd like to clarify that Dave is referring to Williams of Udall, KS who I've also heard many warnings about over the years not to ever pay them in advance. (Good policy on lots of folks.)

This is NOT the Williams airframe rebuilders of Indiana (who do excellent, reliable work) or our own Johnny Williams, of Ducote, TX who is also a good guy and long-term member and supporter of TIC170A.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Dave, was the tailwheel conversion you did on your beautiful "181" an STC'd mod? If so, who holds that STC?
Also, I believe that an outfit in Calif called Aircraft Conversion Technologies had the Texas Taildragger STC, at least for the 150/152.

Eric
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

I'd like to say that Harry is great as well. Just be prepared to talk airplane and have an exit plan if you don't have a long distance phone plan.[/i]
djbaker

Post by djbaker »

Harry is everything you say. Great to talk to about airplanes --- or anything else that comes to his mind. He does seem straightforward, but at the present time he is not selling kits or doing the conversion. He is developing a universal gear for the 170, 172, 180, 185 and he will have to get an STC for it before selling kits again. The gear for the conversion kit will be part of this universal gear leg. He did have a timetable, but also said it was dependent on the manufacturer of the gear and he did not have samples of it in yet. I did call Williams, but don't think they are answering the phone. At least not for the past several days. I did talk to a man, Don Tredwell, who bought a kit from Williams. The plane he converted was a 172M, like mine, and he said the kit was complete and he did the conversion in 120 hrs. I'm going to keep trying. Anyone with any more info, I'd appreciate it.
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

The Aircraft Conversion Technologies people Eric mentioned don't seem to have a website, but I found the following contact info:

A C T AERIAL SERVICES DIVISION
6245 AERODRMOME WAY,
COUNTY HANGER
AIRCRAFT CONVERSION TECHNOLOGIES, INC
GEORGETOWN, CA

I know they have done C150/152 conversions, but I didn't see them listed in the FAA STC database for C172. Worth a call though. Can't hurt.
Doug
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Yes, the Williams at Udall KS folks.

Eric the 182 to 180 = 181 STC was held by a fellow in Montana, don't know if he's still selling that or not but he didn't hold any STCs for other gear conversions as I remember.

Harry is indeed a great talker, and a great guy. Perhaps it's getting too hard to come up with the gear legs and he wants to be able to supply them as well. Makes sense to me.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180