Lemon Pledge

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

tailpilot

Lemon Pledge

Post by tailpilot »

Old Subject...but are they making lemon pledge again.......The Kroger in my home town has tons of it.....I only bought one because it says "new" on the can.....I assume it is the same stuff.....looks the same... :?:
N170BP

Post by N170BP »

Old marketing ploy... They'll put "New" and/or "Improved"
on something in the hopes that we'll buy it instead of something
else.

Unfortunately, we're dumb enough to fall for this ploy most
of the time!
Bela P. Havasreti
'54 C-180
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

A couple years back, I bought a big spray-pump bottle (as opposed to aerosol can) of Pledge. It's lasted forever, but now it's about empty and I haven't had any luck finding a replacement. The aerosol stuff seemed to work better anyway. The can's were/are pretty spendy, 3 or 4 bucks at the local grocery store. But a guy tipped me off that the cans of lemon furniture polish sold at the local "dollar store" seem to be the same stuff as Pledge-- works just as well & only costs (you guessed it) a buck!
And yes, I have tried aircraft-windshield specific products (Plexus & Prist) and they don't seem to work as well as Pledge. And no, I don't have any basis for approval. :P

Eric
rudymantel

Post by rudymantel »

I really like a product called Fastwax (one word, not to be confused with a product for skis, Fast Wax). See link: http://www.fastwax.com/search.asp
My IA introduced me to it- he was using it on his airplane.

It's easy to apply and great for cleaning and waxing. It leaves a nice shiny coat.

According to their web page, Walmart now sells it. Don't remember the cost- I bought a case three years ago and am just now running low.

Rudy
S2D

Post by S2D »

FAVOR is a generic Pledge that works good and about half the price. Each area of the country probably has its own generic Pledge.
Brian S.
54 C-180 - - - 55 PA-18
Oliver 88
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

S2D wrote:FAVOR is a generic Pledge that works good and about half the price. Each area of the country probably has its own generic Pledge.
Isn't "Favor" and "Pledge" different product trade-names for household furniture polish/dusting sprays? If so, neither would be "generic" in the true sense. I'd recommend caution before using household cleaners, etc. for aircraft use. Some of them contain components that can be harmful to plexiglas such as ammonia.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

"Isn't "Favor" and "Pledge" different product trade-names for household furniture polish/dusting sprays? If so, neither would be "generic" in the true sense. I'd recommend caution before using household cleaners, etc. for aircraft use. Some of them contain components that can be harmful to plexiglas such as ammonia "

I agree George. Buy one windshield and treat it right. I use Pledge because it works better for me than anything else and am comfortable with that as it has proven to be harmless to our windshields. ANY other brand is ???? Also I hope they don't change the formula.........

BTW the neatest discovery is the micro-fiber towels from Costco (mnd elsewhere). These things take the Pledge off totally without smudges or smears. :D
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
S2D

Post by S2D »

gahorn wrote:
S2D wrote:FAVOR is a generic Pledge that works good and about half the price. Each area of the country probably has its own generic Pledge.
Isn't "Favor" and "Pledge" different product trade-names for household furniture polish/dusting sprays? If so, neither would be "generic" in the true sense. I'd recommend caution before using household cleaners, etc. for aircraft use. Some of them contain components that can be harmful to plexiglas such as ammonia.
Yes it is. When I said generic, I just meant a cheaper knockoff of the same product. I have used Favor for years when I find it and has no different qualities than Pledge that I can discern.
Brian S.
54 C-180 - - - 55 PA-18
Oliver 88
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Bela, is your logo flying backwards? Guess it depends on which side of the plane you're on. Reason I bring this up, is that at last years Petit Jean, some of the plane's " Check Marks "opened to the back and some had it open to the front. We thought it would be more aerodynamically correct to fly with the check mark pointed forward. However, I was reading the Artic Tern and sure enough there is a picture of with the logo is flying what we thought was backwards. My plane is in the shop being painted with one now. Wonder which way I'll fly home?
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Dave, Cessna deliberately did that so the green A models could use the same decal set. :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
N170BP

Post by N170BP »

Roy Shores gave me a blueprint/copy of an original Cessna
drawing that had that logo + "bird" (whatever that thing is)
on it. I scanned the drawing (and then scaled it way down)
and that's where my Avatar came from.

I'd be hard-pressed to put my hands on the drawing again
at the moment (having recently moved, it's in a box somewhere),
but I don't recall there being any left/right (opposite-hand) thing
going on.

My guess is the logo was the logo, and it "looked right" on
one side of the fin but looked "backwards" on the other side.
Bela P. Havasreti
'54 C-180
N170BP

Post by N170BP »

I forgot that the scanned blueprint in question is still on my hard drive.

The Cessna drawing # is 0500018.

It shows the logo drawn the way it is on my Avatar, with no
notes saying LH or RH opposite. I've uploaded a reduced
resolution version of the drawing here:

http://www.havasreti.com/cessna_170_logo.jpg

Hope it helps!
Bela P. Havasreti
'54 C-180
N2865C

Post by N2865C »

N170BP wrote:My guess is the logo was the logo, and it "looked right" on one side of the fin but looked "backwards" on the other side.
I agree. If you look at old Cessna ads the logo is the same on both sides, making the "thing" (whatever it is) look like it is flying backwards on the pilots side.
jc
John
N2865C
"The only stupid question is one that wasn't asked"
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Our trained eyes read left to right so that "thing" is always flying downwind, so to speak. Unlike my plane.

If it didn't have the CESSNA I'd want to reverse the one side.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Excellent, I'm sending that drawing to my painter. All he had was my scetch of it. He was going to call someone to get it, he said. I see that was a 1953 blueprint.
JC, your plane is gorgeous. All the bird logos were flying forward at the fly-in except one. When the judges rule for originality, I guess that's a factor.
Joe, I think he's pulled ahead by at least 2 links. :lol: