New Members Welcomed!

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

New Members Welcomed!

Post by GAHorn »

I was sitting in Arlington airport (KGKY) the other day, working on my laptop while waiting for my pax. A guy with a really cute little kid came into the lounge and sat down and tended to buisiness on his cell phone, while his little girl used him for a jungle-gym. :lol:
I was checking emails, and logged onto this site and checked some discussions. We struck up a casual converstation. He is an American Airlines pilot and owns a Bonanza. We talked about 10 minutes or so.
After a while my pax showed up, so I shut down the laptop, and got ready to walk out to the plane, and decided to introduce myself. I walked over to shake hands.....
"Hi, I'm George Horn."
He replied, "Glad to meet you. I'm Sam Daniels. Say,...you're not the George Horn with the One-Seventy Association are you?"
"Well, actually, yes, I am. I was just working on our website. How do you know my name?"
"I just joined the Association, and Velvet has sent me the membership materials and I saw your name."

I was really sorry I couldn't spend more time talking with this interesting guy and latest member. You guys up there in Dallas area need to look him up! He's looking to buy a 170 it seems, and maybe you guys can help him with a big WELCOME!

In addition, I also visited with Cleo Bickford about a rudder assembly issue regarding the topic surrounding the bellcrank/hinge assy., and we visited about the weekend's fly-in at Lago Vista. This is just across the lake from me and I intended to hop over the water to join the group.
Unfortunately, I'd just that morning rec'd a phone call from Dave Mason explaining that due to fog he couldn't make it, and told him I'd forward his regrets. I then got an email from Randall Collins saying the same thing.
Wouldn't you know it, ....it stayed so darn foggy all day until sundown that I couldn't make it either. It's a long way to drive around the lake and by the time I decided I couldn't fly....it would be too late for me to join the group if I drove....so I gave up and stayed home all day.
Well, while talking to Cleo and offering my regrets for not being able to join the group, he informed me that he and Louise were the only ones to show up! The weather had defeated all efforts by current members.
So, wouldn't you know it, they met a guy at Lago Vista and he is now our latest new member! I haven't met him yet personally, but I hope to welcome him soon in person. I'll bet that's our latest registered participant here in the forums, daveyb!

WELCOME, DAVE and SAM! :P
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
R COLLINS

New Members

Post by R COLLINS »

I would like to extend a welcome to Dave and Sam also. The Cessna 170 is a great airplane, but the members here are the best group of people you will meet. The first time I attended one of the luncheons that the Bickford's put together I was a little nervous because I did not now anyone there but it did not last more than a few minutes. Anyone that has met Cleo and Louise knows that it will not take long for them to make you feel like family. Their hard work does not go unappreciated and I wanted to send this as a thank you for devoting the effort, even when the weather cannot be controlled, just incase there might be a new member waiting to be found. I will be watching the Flypaper for the next announcement and hoping for blue skies. Randal
51 Cessna 170A N1263D
daveyb

Post by daveyb »

Hello George and All

Thanx for the welcome. I had heard the night before that there was to be a 170 fly-in last Saturday at K5R3, but thought it would be a wash with the weather that greeted us in the morning. By goodness Cleo and Louise weren't about to let that get in the way, they made a showing-albeit by landyacht, and encouraged me to join.
My application to TIC170A had not even been filled out, and Cleo had "learnt" me some things about my airplane unbekownst to me.
(BTW Cleo, the new tailspring is being installed with a new and proper U bolt assembly. I'm still recovering from sticker shock of the new U bolt, but think I have a line on a new career :o )
I join the ranks of newcomers that stand in awe of the vast knowledge and resource this group has. It's particularly nice to have one of the world's foremost 170 gurus right across the lake from me :wink: Thanx to IndyMoore for turning me on to this Association last year. That was the more frugal part, he also turned me on to the '52 B Model I brought home last summer.
Please bear with me as this is my first post. Being digitally challenged, I trust I have screen settings in their proper place.

Best regards

daveyb