26 " tundra tires and heavy duty brakes

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Eric

26 " tundra tires and heavy duty brakes

Post by Eric »

I am installing 26" Alaska Buswheel tires on my '52 170B. No problem. They come with the STC. Heavy duty brakes are recommend so I purchased the Cleveland C180 double puck brakes from Alaska Bushwheel also. But the brake mod doesn't come with an STC. Good news is that the FAA can still do field approval (337) for brake conversions. Bad news is the local FAA wants a copy of a prior field approval for putting on these Cleveland C180 brakes on a C170. So far I have been stumped to come up with one. Can you help?

It would be nice if Alaska Bushwheel would obtain the STC for the brake conversion. It would have been nice if they would have explained that a field approval would be necessary. It would also have been nice if they would have mentioned that heavy duty C180 axels are recommended and a field approval is probably not possible without them (at $900 apiece!). It's a little harder to get these things done when you don't live in Alaska. I appreciate any help you can give me.......Eric #6733
N170BP

Post by N170BP »

Contact Velvet w/the association, as I know there is a 337
on file for double-puck Cleveland/McCauley brakes on
the 170 (when I first joined, I ordered copies of a bunch
of 337s for mods I thought I'd at least consider, and that
was one of them).

I just moved, so it would be a miracle if I found exactly what
I was looking for amongst dozens of boxes of stuff.

As I recall, copies from the association are very inexpensive.

My double pucks have a 337 on file for my '54, but it simply
says "Verified previous installation of Cleveland double-puck
brakes" (I imported my 170 from Canada and had to have my
IA submit multiple 337s for all the mods on the airplane for
which there was no Canadian paperwork).
Bela P. Havasreti
'54 C-180
Jr.CubBuilder

Post by Jr.CubBuilder »

I don't know if this helps but there was an older thread on axles. Here's a post from n4517c that might help if you need STC for the axles. Also as someone else posted in that thread Airframes Inc. sells the hollow steel axles 1441003 for $325, find them at http://www.supercubs.com/parts.html

Who wanted $900 apiece for the axles? :evil: That's highway robbery!

"The following information may be helpful. First, Aero LLC (1095 Silver Mills Road, Sangerville, Maine 04479 207 924 5905 ) sells the STC to mount the hollow steel axle ( 1441003 ) on the 170B and some 170As. I did the engineering and paperwork for that STC."
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

I sent Velvet a copy of the 337 for my airplane (N4401V) quite a while back. I have the double-puck kit #199-62, mounted on 180 gear legs. signed off by the FAA in 1987.
I would ask Velvet for copies if several different 337's, I'm sure she has more than one, just to show your FAA guy that it's a common mod. the description of the installation may be different on the various 337's, one might be better to use as a model than others. Mine references FAR 23 re: takeoff & landing performance and propeller clearance.

Eric
rudymantel

Post by rudymantel »

I have an FAA field approval for double puck brakes- the Cleveland kit
66-92 same as Eric. Got it about a year and a half ago.
Send me your mailing address and I'll send you copies of what I have.
BTW, you should get solid axles with these.
I love the double pucks with my 600x6 tires as it makes taxiing in crosswinds much easier.
Rudy
Watkinsnv

Post by Watkinsnv »

I got a field approval for my 180 gear, and as it was explained to me by Bill O'Brien the FAA author of field approvals. Take the 180 gear, if double puck brakes are approved on these gear (aircraft removed from) they are now allowed on your aircraft. tire size and plies all are approved for your installation. Lance