New Forum Member

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

AR Dave

New Forum Member

Post by AR Dave »

gnpnast - I just want to thank you for listing what part of the country that you are from. It gives us an ideal of how one thinks and what kind of climate they live in. I think we should have to, at the minimum, put down W, E, S, N, or Blue, Red, State :) . You should tag up with the Wolfe's from Minn and come on down to the Petit Jean 170.
Wonder how many people join this forum for a week and then never come back. In fact I know one that joined, then bought a 182, he should be deleted. Would like to see - own a 170, looking for 170, or just like the club, also. I don't know, but sometimes I wonder who's checking in and I don't want some women, pretending to be a man, stalking me or something. :P
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Dave, I'd rather have a woman pretending to be a man stalking me, than a man pretending to be a woman! (I think)
As for what state I'm in, I oughta change my official profile from "state of Washington to "state of confusion"
I had to laugh the other day, I was looking at the 180/185 forum. You have to join to log on to surf the posts. After filling out my profile, it told me I would be identified as zero-one-victor, "skywagon wanna-be". Excuse me?

Eric
N170BP

Post by N170BP »

A 180 bud has a saying that goes "There's two kinds of
pilots... The kind that owns a 180 and the kind that
wants one".

How about the 180 club not letting someone who owned
a t/w converted 182 into the club? (you know who he
is/was, God rest his soul....).

It's kind of weird, because all the 180 people I know are
just great people, but you always hear about these
kinds of "snobbish" things going on (snobbish is probably
not the best word to use, but you get my drift....).

I can tell you that it's even worse in the warbird community.
The fighter guys won't talk to the AT- guys, the AT-
guys won't talk to the BT- guys, the BT- guys won't talk
to the PT- guys, and nobody will talk to the L- guys!

That's what makes this 170 group so great. We don't care
what you fly (with the possible exception of Piper Cherokees
and Grumman Yankees) 8O as long as you like 170s too!
Bela P. Havasreti
'54 C-180
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Agree with all said!
Still would like to know where new posters are from though, just makes it friendlier. I can personally invite them to events in my area or talk to them about some place near them or know to ignore them if they are giving advice on preheat from Texas. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by AR Dave on Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jr.CubBuilder

Post by Jr.CubBuilder »

Awwww sh** here we go with the pre-heat thing again (just kidding)

Seriously though, I like this forum we seem to have a good group here and people don't seem to get overly worked up.

For what it's worth I don't think your location should be a requirement, if people dont want to disclose it they'll just lie anyway. If they dont want to post their general local they might not be the type you want showing up at your Bar-BQ anyway.
zero.one.victor

N170BP wrote:A 180 bud has a saying that goes "There's two kinds of
pilots... The kind that owns a 180 and the kind that
wants one".
It's kind of weird, because all the 180 people I know are
just great people, but you always hear about these
kinds of "snobbish" things going on (snobbish is probably
not the best word to use, but you get my drift....)....
I know several guys who used to own 170/172's & now own 180/182's--after talking to them,I like to say there's 2 kinds of pilots: the ones that own 180's, and the ones who can still afford to fly! For the flying I do, and my budget, the 170 fits me better than a 180.

About the snobbishness: a few years ago, I was in the market to buy a 180. I got involved with the 180/185 email list, the local participants of which set up a few local lunch get-togethers (Friday Harbor, Orcas Island, etc). At one of them, one of the guys (who is fairly well-known & apparently well-regarded in 180 circles) asked another attendee (who's a buddy of mine) "hey, who's the wanna-be with the 170?" Considering that most of them started off with a 170 or even (gasp!) a 140, I thought that crack was elitist and highly uncool. I got the same sort of attitude from one or two others,but they were a little more discreet.
Another incident: a friend of mine was parked next to a couple 180 guys at the Arlington fly-in a few years ago. A Maule parked nearby, & the owner went off to look at airplanes, etc. While he was gone,. the 180 guys crossed out "Maule" on his prop card & wrote "Skywagon wanna-be".
That's the kind of elitist crap that really turns me off. The 170 folks I know (like those here on this site) don't come off like that. I can't say the same about some of the 180ers I've met. Present company excluded, of course. :wink:

Eric
FredM

Post by FredM »

perhaps their big heads is what forced them out of the smaller planes, no room.
Fred L. Mahan
51 C170A N1289D
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Dave, I can't seem to find the post or user info on our member list for gnpnast. Where'd you see this posting? Are they in MN? I'd like to contact them about Petit Jean.

I'm doing some selling trying to get as many 170s there as possible.
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
DensityDog

Post by DensityDog »

Hey Eric, check it out, all you have to do is make one post on the Skywagons.org forum and you go from "SkywagonWannabe" to "Owner"!
Such a deal! Go for it!
N2540V

Skywagon wanna-be

Post by N2540V »

Eric,
The previous owner of my 170 had a different paint job.
They pained a fake window behind the existing windows.
It was to make the 170 look like the 180.

That was about the first item I removed from this airplane.
Jim
zero.one.victor

DensityDog wrote:Hey Eric, check it out, all you have to do is make one post on the Skywagons.org forum and you go from "SkywagonWannabe" to "Owner"!
Such a deal! Go for it!

Our pal "Calvin" would never forgive me! (I still have that hybrid sticker you gave me on the wall of my hangar!)

Eric
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

It's kind of a Boot to camp at Johnson Creek, ID., during the 180/185 club fly-in so all the big time bush pilots with the 600 X 6
tail wheels can feel superior when they see a 170. Actually, the majority of them are real regular guys but there are really some turkeys as I suppose there is in every large group. I had to laugh a couple of years ago when a couple of them got real bent out of shape over my buddys airplane, They insisted it didn't belong in the club. He has an old flat back, square tailed 182 that he gave a sex change operation and they thought that it wasn't a "real"180.
BL
170C

180 ish

Post by 170C »

The guy with the converted 182 should remind his 180 "friends" that way back when, Cessna offered a conversion kit that would convert a 182 over to a 180. Don't know if the data plate was changed or not, but if one didn't know it had been a 182 you couldn't easily tell. I saw one at the EAA SW Flyin in Kerrville, TX one year & then again at another TX flyin. The owner had a plaque describing the kit, etc.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Dave, I can't seem to find the post or user info on our member list for gnpnast.
Kyle, I see you keep signing em up. When I come online, I have this habit of cliking on the latest member to join, that's where I saw gnpnast WI. When they don't show their location, I just assume they're from California or New York or a 180 pilot who doesn't want to be identified! :P
Clik on Memberlist
Method of Sort - (beside Joined Date) change to Descending Order.
Aren't your friends, that just signed up for PT170, from WI? Maybe same person?
BTW, I updated the Petit Jean Website (Info),(People),(Planes) Categories, check out Ole Pokey & Joe.
http://members.cox.net/laseter/
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Thanks, Dave. I had looked through the member list by name but could not find gnpnast. I've since sent them a pm.

The web site looks nice. You've put some work into it. You must have taken some classes in photo editing too. Our 170, Frank and Joe all look youthful and robust! It's amazing what touch ups can do.

Looking forward to warm weather and green grass.
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005