Door Latch Springs (and HatchLatch info)

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Don't know about the Skycatch, but the male part of the Hatchlatch is a teflon or nylon knob that they tell you to epoxy onto the stock Cessna door stop which is attached to either the wing (A&B models) or the wing strut (48 model). I didn't trust epoxy alone so I pinned it in place using a piece of safety wire in addition to the epoxy. No,I don't have any basis of approval for that mod, sorry. :oops:
I really like the Hatchlatch set-up, the only trouble I've ever had with it was when I let the door get away from me when opening it with a strong tailwind. The door skewered itself on the striker, and I had a hell of a time un-skewering it. My own fault, not the Hatchlatch's.

Eric
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The original installation instructions/kit included a small roll-pin to help attach the nylon striker. The nylon would break when an unknowledgeable/careless passenger place any weight at all on the door entering/exiting the aircraft. The new strikers from Johnny Williams are made from stainless and should be much more durable.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Yes the striker is nice!
But he doesn't have the Hatch Latch part that goes on the door anymore.
Thus you get a Tinnerman nut to install with your very nice striker, which isn't working for me.