Door Latch Springs (and HatchLatch info)

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

derf62

Door Latch Springs (and HatchLatch info)

Post by derf62 »

I am about ready to tackle the co-pilot door spring problem. I have read the Timeless Classic" articals and ask if anyone has additional input. I plan on removing the door and take it into the shop. I'll drill out the rivits and proceed from there.

INPUT APPRECIATED.
Metal Master

Post by Metal Master »

I just spent yesterday working the door latch spring issue on my 170. Every airplane including mine that I have seen has had the rivets already replaced with screws by someone else. But a couple of things you should watch for are this. If your latches worked well in the recent past take some measurements of where the latch cam is from the edge of the door so that you can make sure to return it to the exact same position. If your intention is to replace the rivets through the brackets with screws Riv-nuts can be installed in the door latch in the holes where the rivets once were.
I was able to manufacture new springs using my jewelers’ pliers and on the fourth proto type my door now latches with hand pressure without slamming the door and cannot be forced open from the inside by pushing.
A&P, IA, New owner C170A N1208D, Have rebuilt some 50 aircraft. So many airplanes, So little time!
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Where do I find a Door Catch?
Part that mounts to the wing and holds the door open for you.
0523004-5 right & -6 left.
Thanks,
Dave
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Check Williams Airmotive in San Angelo, TX. I bought my door stops from him. They have a mylon ball on the end that mates with the Hatch Latch receiver. The receiver attaches behind the existing door latch hole hole at the top of the door. Works great.
Doug
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Thanks Doug, but
The original receivers (female) that were on the plane are still there. The wings were resheeted (not leading edge) and I later realized that wing part (male post catch) was missing. Of course there are two empty screw holes on each wing. I found this same catch on a 67, 172, but a different kind on a 60, 172. The correct one is in the 1949, 170 IPC (0523004-5) I think. Couldn't find it in the 56, 170B IPC. I have the 55, 170B. Does all that ###B make sense?

BL, could I borrow 2, off one of your 55, 170B spares? :)
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Doug, I just re-read your post. So your saying that this replaces the original and fits in the same holes. No problems switching the recievers out?
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Swithing out receivers? You mention the "original receivers"... Do you have something mounted to the door as a receiver?

The original receiver (if you want to call them that) was just a hole at the top-center of the door that the door post "clipped" in to. The original door post had a flat round piece at the end that fit into the receiver hole in the door. This flat round piece would often rust and then break off.

The solution from Williams is a "standard" door post fitted with a nylon ball fitting (in place of the flat round metal one) for the male portion of the latch. The door post will mount in the original location, but if memory serves, it uses four mounting screws as did the original door posts. You said you have two empty screw holes in each wing? Seems odd. I could be wrong (i don't have my IPC handy), but I thought they used four mounting screws.

Anyway, the female portion of the latch is a "Hatch Latch" item. It mounts on the inside of the door directly behind the original receiver hole and is virtually invisible. The ball from the door post passes through the original receiver hole and engages the Hatch Latch receiver.

The Hatch Latch receiver was produced by a separate company. Williams Aircraft sold these receivers along with their own door posts. Williams used to have a website, but I can't seem to locate it.

Hope that clarifies things a bit.
Doug
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Williams Aircraft Co. has an ad in the back of the TIC170A directory. Their area code has changed and their phone number is
325 944 8558. They're in San Angelo, TX. They make the door stop under a PMA.
BL
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Thanks BL. Do you know if Williams still has a website? I can't seem to find it.
Doug
spiro

Post by spiro »

http://www.williamsairmotive.com/index.htm

still shows them in Indiana...
4583C

Post by 4583C »

Spiro
Thats a different Williams. Johnny Williams has been in San Angelo for years. Paul
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Yes, it might be 4 holes. I have to rely on an Alheimers' memory when I'm up here at work. .
Anyway thanks for telling me about them.
I emailed the Website (Illinois) to see what they had. And I'll call the Williams (TX) that you're talking about tomorrow or when they're open Mon..
Last edited by AR Dave on Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

If my memory is correct, the piece of the original catch that is in the door is nothing more than a large Tinnerman (speed) nut. A conversion to the "Sky Catch" system is a very worthwhile modification.
BL
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Ditto for me on BL's recollection of the door part of the catch just being a sort of big tinnerman.
BL recommends Skycatch. I have the Hatchlatch set-up on mine. I like it. the female part is mounted inside the door, not on the exterior as is the skycatch. It has worked just about flawlessly for me for about 5 or 6 years now.
I'm not too sure the Hatch Latch folks are still around. Maybe Johnny Williams sells them now? The Hatch Latch info I have from several years ago sez: Sid Drake in Weatheford OK , 405- (or maybe 580-) 772-5836 after 5pm CST.

Eric
spiro

Post by spiro »

Paul
thanks for the Williams clarification.
paul

OK, while we're talking door catches. I hated those sharp pointy sheet metal spikes on the bottom of my wings so I removed them.

I saw a great setup on a 180 once: it replaced the whole shebang with a single rod of (1/8"-) stainless attached at each end to the bottom of the wing. This heavy wire was bent such that it provided a spring dedent for the top of the door frame when it was open. There was probably a SS rub strip on the door.

does this description make sense? Anybody know what I'm talking about? I've been meaning to go track the owner of that plane down and find out what they are, 'cause I think that's the solution to the lousy Cessna design. Have I seen something like this on a Citabria?

they'd probably cut a fraction of a knot off your cruise so you wheelpanties out there may not like 'em <g>.