Venturi Vacuum System

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Jeff Palmer

Venturi Vacuum System

Post by Jeff Palmer »

I’ll abbreviate this to make it less boring. Two 4” venturis. 3/8” hoses, vacuum regulator, filters. Was loosing vacuum over time. Got to 1.5”. Instruments started to get sluggish. Venturis very full of corrosion. Too bad to reuse. Replaced 4” venturis with new. Vacuum dropped to .5” with new venturis. Check vacuum lines. Line on top corroded big holes. Replace all lines and fittings. Now 4.5” of vacuum at 120 mpg. Instruments worse than ever. Replace DG and AH with new. New AH shaking very badly. Sent back for exchange. New AH not shaking. Instruments very slow to respond. Bench test at 1” vacuum. Instruments work fine on bench test. Adjust regulator to 1”, 2”, 3”, 4”. Instruments will not perform in the airplane. Ran engine at idle, in a glide, 4” vacuum. Remove filters, regulator. Nothing makes them work. Check for leaks, none. Why Me?
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

Hope the leaks and corrosion didn't foul up your instruments.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
Jeff Palmer

Venturi Vacuum System

Post by Jeff Palmer »

The new instruments came last. Bench test OK at 1" of vacuum. I was told to put a chamber in the system to produce a more steady vacuum. That didn't help either. The old instruments worked pretty well with the old corroded system at 2". Very disapointing.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

4.5" of vacuum indicates your venturis are good. (Might get more with regulator re-adjusted or removed?) Now it sounds as if your plumbing routing is incorrect, or you have a kink or serious leak upstream of the vacuum gauge.
Re-examine plumbing routing and compare to the IPC.
(As an example, my dual venturis develop over 6" unregulated vacuum at cruise and during descent.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

Sounds like you are not getting vacuum to the instruments. It's very easy to create leaks by over tightening fittings. You might place your vacuum gauge at each instrument location and test in flight to see what you are getting at that location.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
Jeff Palmer

Venturi Vacuum System

Post by Jeff Palmer »

I replumbed the thing 4 times. Blocked off the venturis and tested for leaks each time. One time I eliminated the regualtor and went directly to each instrument from the venturi. I have added a cross over line to link them together. All of the lines and fittings are radiased. I have plumbed it like the manual shows as well as other ways. I tried running only one instrument with both venturis also. I am worried about overspeeding my gyros. Can I run with 5" without dammaging the instruments? I would like to take out the regulator. They warn against that though.
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Jeff Palmer

Your vacuum system is probably plugged. You are getting 4" of vacuum, but it is static. You're not getting any flow through the instruments. That's why a clogged filter will cause sluggish instruments but have a normal suction reading. Try pulling the suction line off at the venturi connection and connect it to a vacuum pump, or even a good strong vacuum cleaner for a ground test.
.Did you ever check for flow through the instrumentsafter installing them?
BL
Jeff Palmer

Venturi Vacuum System

Post by Jeff Palmer »

I removed the filters and ran rubber hoses out so I could feel the vacuum that is going through the instruments. There is a lot. I relocated the hacuum gage to several places and used 2 other gages in case the one in the airplane was not right. I tried a new industrial shop vacuum cleaner and was suprised to see it only pulls a little less than 1" of vacuum. My FBO has a vacuum pump. I can try the trick hooking the pump up to the system, in my hangar, didn't think of that. It'll take a couple guys to help me pick up and tip the airplane around to check the AH though. I am about to go all electric.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Running your gyros on venturis without a regulator will not harm them in the short term, but will overspeed them if excessive vacuum is applied (more than 5.5") which will lead to excessive precession.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
Jeff Palmer

Venturi Vacuum System

Post by Jeff Palmer »

OK, thanks Okhorn, I was not able to achieve more than about 4.6" at VNE so I suppose it would be safe to remove the regulator. I won't mind that because I like to keep things as clean as possible. I have borrowed a rotometer from work. What I'll do is hook up the vacuum pump, from my mechanic's shop, and measure the actual flow through the instruments. I'll let you guys know the results. The prop does have an effect on the pulsing of vacuum. Both blades line up with the venturis at the same time. I don't know if that pulsing has anything to do with it. Maybe my old rotten pipes dampened the pulsing. Maybe I should drill holes in the pipes! I'm running out of ideas here folks. How do you put these little faces in here?[/i]
Jeff Palmer

OKHORN

Post by Jeff Palmer »

Okhorn, where did I get OKHORN?
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Go to your Profile, and enable "Emoticons" if you wish to use them.
Jeff Palmer

Vacuum System

Post by Jeff Palmer »

OK, Tonight I set up the vacuum pump. Ran the system up to 4.5". The regulator popped off to maintain that setting. There is a lot of volume of air going through the instruments. Tomorrow I will measure the actual flow with the rotometer I borrowed from work. Then I will take the stuff off and will plumb it up the way I did at first. It will all be the same except I am not putting the regulator in. My 4" venturis will never produce more than about 4.7" at VX. So that will eliminate a lot of length of pipe. There is one difference that I am not using any rubber hoses like has been recomended. It is all plumbed in solid. The line runs direct from the left venturi, to each instrument, then to the right venturi. That's how I am going to run it. If it still doesn't work, I will probably just go all electric and eliminate the venturis altogether.
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Have you priced an electric horizon & DG? Whew! 8O
Jeff Palmer

Venturi System

Post by Jeff Palmer »

I know, that's part of the reason for using vacuum. It's cheaper. I can't drag any smilies over here and I have smilies checked in my profile. Also, my avatar does not appear in the box on the left????? I wonder if that has something to do with my vacuum not working. It's Voo Doo!