MAGELLAN GPS

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

170C

MAGELLAN GPS

Post by 170C »

FYI For anyone out there contemplating purchasing a used Magellan GPS or purchasing a plane with a Magellan GPS installed in it, don't do so if you are counting on any product support from Magellan! I have a Magellan Skynav 5000 unit (panel mount) unit. It works fine--no complaints on its functions, BUT it uses a Jeppsen database. Boeing no longer has updates available. Tellis Communications purchased Magellan and they no longer support any of the aviation based products. Therefore I am stuck with a unit that can no longer be updated. Guess this means buy Garmin or Bendix/King and hope they don't suddenly decide to follow Magellan who are going after the outdoorsman/camper/hiker market or possibly the surveying market. RATS! FOILED AGAIN.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
mvivion

Post by mvivion »

I bought a Magellan 5000 update card from Jeppesen a couple of months ago. I forget what the price was, but it was the same as the Garmin updates that I also routinely do.

There is almost never any point in talking to the manufacturers of radios about data these days--Jeppesen is the source for virtually all this stuff.

But, you are right about one thing: If that unit breaks and it can't be fixed relatively easily by a local tech, its a boat anchor. Magellan isn't supporting them at all. They saw the writing, and went to totally handheld units. I wouldn't buy one of those either, who knows when they'll decide the real money's in video games and dump GPS completely.

Call Jepp. They should be able to get you a new card.

Mike Vivion
170C

Magellan GPS

Post by 170C »

Mike, thanks for your input. I wonder if the same database update card that goes to a Garmin unit would substitite in a Skynav 5000? (I doubt they would interchange being two different units.) Its interesting that you were able to get an update for your Skynav 5000 recently. Would you have Jepp's phone number?

Thanks,
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
auxtank

Post by auxtank »

Jepp's website at:

http://www.jeppesen.com/wlcs/index.jsp

lists their numbers as:

US Toll Free: 1-800-621-5377 | Direct: 303-799-9090

Gordon Sandy
Ragwing N4002V
mvivion

Post by mvivion »

Sorry, should have included that up front. The data cards are different for all the GPS units, so they are proprietary.

When you order from Jepp, they require that you return your expired card after you receive the new one. They reprogram that, and send it out again, I'm guessing, but mostly its to keep you from updating seven units with one card.

Mike