Need lift strut profile

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

1952170B

Need lift strut profile

Post by 1952170B »

Hello, first post, I'm doing this as a favor for my father, proud owner of a 1952 B-model.

I, or rather he, needs to know the profile of the lift strut. Cessna refuses to give him this information for any less than 300$, and so I was hoping someone here might know. I cannot tell you for what reason, but I can just say that it is for a good cause :wink:

Thank you in advance

Ben
Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

I don't understand what the "profile" is that you're looking for. I have a couple of sets of C-170B lift struts in my hangar,---one set having come off of a '52 model has the high shear rivits, the other is flush riveted and came off of a later model. Let me know what you're looking for.

Dick Lemmon---blueldr@earthlink.net
Ph. (916) 635-5566 or email me your phone number. I have really,really cheap long distance service.
BL
1952170B

Post by 1952170B »

What I meant by profile was the Airfoil design of the strut itself. It looks like a very simple symmetrical airfoil with a rounded off trailing edge (which is because of it being an extrusion)

I appreciate any help.

Ben
Metal Master

Post by Metal Master »

1952170B wrote:What I meant by profile was the Airfoil design of the strut itself. It looks like a very simple symmetrical airfoil with a rounded off trailing edge (which is because of it being an extrusion)

I appreciate any help.

Ben
:?: Then what you want are the ordinates. Such as NASA ordinates for the profile of a wing. I do not have them but I am just curious if this is what you are looking for. I could draw them. Or maybe you might find them at the library in an airfoil section book.

Jim
A&P, IA, New owner C170A N1208D, Have rebuilt some 50 aircraft. So many airplanes, So little time!
1952170B

Post by 1952170B »

Metal Master wrote:
1952170B wrote:What I meant by profile was the Airfoil design of the strut itself. It looks like a very simple symmetrical airfoil with a rounded off trailing edge (which is because of it being an extrusion)

I appreciate any help.

Ben
:?: Then what you want are the ordinates. Such as NASA ordinates for the profile of a wing. I do not have them but I am just curious if this is what you are looking for. I could draw them. Or maybe you might find them at the library in an airfoil section book.

Jim
Yes, this is exactly what I need Jim. My guess is that it is modification of a simple NACA profile, being as old as it is, and what I really need is the raw data, as in either the designation of this profile or even better, the ordinates of it.

Thanks

Ben