O-435-C Fulton conversion

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Jr.CubBuilder

O-435-C Fulton conversion

Post by Jr.CubBuilder »

Does anyone out there know anything about this conversion? It's listed in the Hartzell application guide, and I'm curious what they had to do for fitting that big of a motor.
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

I've never talked to anyone who had this engine in their 170. It's a pretty common mod for Stinson 108's-- it was the stock engine for the WW2 Stinson L5 Sentinel, so I think it's pretty much a bolt-on firewall-forward show.
You don't hear too many favorable comments about this engine. It's pretty heavy for the horsepower-- 435 cubic inches and only 190 horses. I think parts are getting kinda iffy too-- I think it only came standard in the L5 & the old Bellanca 14-19 Cruisemaster (Cardboard Constellation). I don't know how many of the parts from the geared GO-435 will fit.

Eric
Jr.CubBuilder

Post by Jr.CubBuilder »

Interesting, I kind of figured it would be heavy and with 135 extra cubes I was wondering what would happen to the cowl, plus how they dealt with all that extra weight. I was surprised at how many conversions they had listed, O320s, O360s, and the 435 struck me as sort of like putting a dump-truck motor in a sports car. My neighbor has one of these 435s in a snow plane that he built when he was a kid, the motor seemed huge the last time I saw it.
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

The O-435 was a good solid engine----- an O-290 with two more cylinders. It was relatively heavy for the horsepower, but it was built like a real aircraft engine with the generator and starter back on the accessory case where they belonged and not stuck on the front end of the engine like an after market accessory item.
As far as I can remember, they were only used as original equipment on the Stinson L-5, the Bellanca Cruisemaster and the Johnson Rocket. Their horsepower was rated at only 2550 RPM so the horsepower was only 190. I flew a lot of hours on the L-5 and on my own L-5G when I was in the Air Force in Alaska. I think it is still on the registry as N63970 though I sold it down in San antonio in 1951.
BL
Dawn Patrol

Post by Dawn Patrol »

63970, airframe s/n 4635 is now in GA. It has been put to work as a "Aerial Advertiser". It has been owned by the same owner since 1969.
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

I just saw an ad in TAP or somewhere for a Hiller helicopter with a Lycoming VO-435 engine, 260 horsepower. I would guess the V stands for vertical, as in vertically-mounted. Quite a bit more horsepower than the regular O-435, I wonder if they just turn it up higher or what?

Eric
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

BL, where you at Elmendorf or Eielson?
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Dave,
I was with Cold Weather Test at Ladd Field in Fairbanks, which is now Ft. Wainright, from '47 to '51. Used to keep my plane on Weeks Field which was then the Fairbanks Airport. Knew Quite a few of the really old timers!
BL
mit

Post by mit »

blueldr wrote:Dave,
I was with Cold Weather Test at Ladd Field in Fairbanks, which is now Ft. Wainright, from '47 to '51. Used to keep my plane on Weeks Field which was then the Fairbanks Airport. Knew Quite a few of the really old timers!
Tell us a Randy Accord story! :)
Tim
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

BL, Did you fly your plane to or from Alaska back then?
I'm a little intriqued!
Dave
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Randy Acord was with Cold Weather Test during WW2, before my time there. When I kept my airplane at Weeks Field A Stinson L-5G that I bought in FBK, Randy Acord was flying tourists in a Bonanza from there. He was a civilian by that time.
Yes, I did make a couple of trips down to the states (Alaska was a territory in those days, you know) when I was on leave home to San Francisco. We were required to follow the old Alcan Highway through Canada which led all the way up to Lesser Slave Lake between Grand praire and Edmonton. I also flew it to San Antonio when I was transferred to Randolph field in '51. A long trip and another story. God Damn, I was young then!
All this BS is technical stuff, Thats why it's in the "Hangar" forum!
BL
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

We're in the Hanger? :roll:
I just clik on, View Post Since Last Visit, and forget to observe Lounge or Hanger. We'll have to catch up with you on this subject somewhere else. And here I was thinking I was Mr Aviator, by flying the Alcan in 2002. :wink:
rudymantel

Post by rudymantel »

I seem to recall, from MANY years ago, that the L-5 was powered by a Lycoming 190 hp engine. It was , like all Stinsons, a nice airplane.
Rudy
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

AR Dave wrote:We're in the Hanger? :roll:
I just clik on, View Post Since Last Visit, and forget to observe Lounge or Hanger. We'll have to catch up with you on this subject somewhere else. And here I was thinking I was Mr Aviator, by flying the Alcan in 2002. :wink:
That's OK....I moved it to the Pilot Lounge. Thx.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)