Need Help-overhauling Franklin 165

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

KENDRURY

Need Help-overhauling Franklin 165

Post by KENDRURY »

Hello from northern Ontario Canada,we have a foot of snow in Hornepayne and it is going to be -36 F tonight.I own a 1952 Cessna 170-B with a 165HP FRANKLIN which needs an overhaul.
I am looking at a 165 FRANKLIN which was overhauled by George Leamy of Spartanburg South Carolina,does anyone know of George Leamy(He might of been with the Stinson club)?
I was wondering what kind of work he does and if anyone had work done by him?
I would appreciate any information on George .

Thanks,

Ken Drury.

E-MAIL ADDRESS kendrury4@msn.com
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Wow, a C170 w/ a Franklin. 8O I think you might be the third person on this forum with one! Woohoo!

Can't help you with Mr. Leamy. However, FWIW a friend of mine recently restored his Stinson 108 and had his Franklin done by Li'l Red Aero in Nebraska. He's quite statisfied with their work. They don't seem to have a website, but they are listed in the Stinson Club web site:
http://www.aeromar.com/partsetc.html
Doug
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

A friend had the 165 in his 108 overhauled by Little Red Aero several years ago. He said they were a little light on paperwork ( I assume he meant documenting parts replaced, etc) but otherwise he thought they did a good job.
I met some folks with a booth at the Arlington EAA Fly-in last summer, They had a shop in Oklahoma which specialized in OH'ing Franklin cylinders. I don't know if they did only cylinders, or complete engine OH's.. Can't recall their name, though.

Eric
russfarris

Post by russfarris »

I've known George Leamy for many years - he was very helpful to me when I owned my Stinson 108 with a Franklin 150. He is an experienced A & P/IA and a Franklin expert who does excellent work. If I was looking at a Franklin, I would consider a George Leamy engine to be a big plus.
Hope this helps...Russ Farris
All glory is fleeting...