Calendar

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

gahorn wrote:The idea of a calendar has been proposed to the Board several times and each time has been voted down for various reasons. ...
Well, that's the first time I've heard that there WAS a reason it got voted down. Whenever the results of the meeting were published, they never gave one. Just some notation about the subject coming up and quickly being shot down. George, would you care to enlighten us dues paying, kept-in-the-dark members as to why the association doesn't want to do calendars?
Doug
Velvet

Post by Velvet »

George is correct that the calendar project has been discussed at past Board meetings, 2 or 3 times over the years. Last year we did a survey of members and only about 25 indicated they would purchase a calendar. That low response made the project not worth the time and energy needed to do the first-rate product that the Association would want to publish.

Velvet
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Hi Velvet,
Thanks for the update. Surveys are only good if everyone responds. How many total responses did you get? As the president of my EAA chapter I conducted a survey regarding the disposition of our meeting space (a fairly significant issue). We had about 65 members at the time and plenty of folks who would offer an opinion, but when survey time came (an anonymous one at that) I received a whopping 14 responses - 7 of which were from the officers. Even though they had an opinion, they were too lazy to respond to the survey.

My point is that with over 1400 members, I'm sure the number of people interested in a calendar is greater than 25. Just because you send out a survey doesn't mean that all the supporters will return it.

I'll bet if you marketed it you do fairly well. Maybe add an additional (optional) fee to the membership renewal to entice people to buy the calendar. Since they have to "respond" and send in money at that time anyway, they may be more inclined to spring for a calendar. I realize that not everyone's membership falls due at a time appropriate for a new calendar, but it's a thought. I think you'd get a decent response.
Doug
Velvet

Post by Velvet »

Doug,

The 25 were the total responses received. Only those interested in purchasing a calendar responded. I know there are many who don't respond to surveys (I received about 100 of the forms for the new Directory from our 1400 members!) but the Board felt if members didn't take the time to respond, they may not take the time to order a calendar either. Unless the Board gets a LOT of requests, I think this issue is dead for a few years.

Happy New Year!
Velvet
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

That's too bad. With all due respect to the board, I believe they are taking a narrow view on this. I'd be willing to bet that if the Association did a "limited edition" run of, say, 50-100 calendars as a one time test, they would sell. If they didn't sell then they could just drop the idea. They could always do a run of middle-of-the-road quality ones with the caveat that high-end ones would be done next time if there was enough interest.

I think many more people would buy them than return surveys. The Association is looking to improve revenue and I think they are overlooking a good opportunity.

I bought one from Susan last year and I'm a little upset that I do not have a replacement for it this year. Like a few other members have previously mentioned, I'm ready to go out and make my own.
Doug
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

I'm all for the Assn producing a calendar. BUT, I can't blame them for not doing it. I did a search on calendars, as I remember'd the Board posing the calendar question in the Flypaper but couldn't remember when. It was almost 2 years ago (my, how time flies!), in the March & April 2003 Flypapers they asked for responses if the membership wanted calendars. I myself did response, & also posted several messages here urging people to respond. Like Velvet said, they only got about 25 (all positive) responses. So I don't blame them for dropping it.
Even an on-line survey on the forum only produced 16 positive (& 1 negative!) responses.
So we can only blame ourselves ( the membership in general) -- we blew it!

Eric
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

I guess you're right. It's just supremely frustrating when when people are given the opportunity to act on something they've been asking for only to have them let the opportunity pass.
Doug
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Doug

The association IS the members. It's business is run by members who volunteer their time and money to the good of the association. Our current volunteers are trying to figure out how to cut costs or expenditures in order to balance the budget thats been running in the red.
As an association member I'm happy our board doesn't want to jump into another project without overwhelming support. Projects like this also take valuable volunteer time another commodity which is in short supply I'm sure.

I'm not saying a calendar is a bad thing. It's the chicken before the egg. I'll bet if the association had nice calendars we'd sell them and make enough money to pay for them and the effort involved but we need the money to buy them first.

Might I suggest that if you really want a calendar that you take this project on yourself as a volunteer. You might ask the board for funding but most likely you'll be turned down. If you really believe in the project then you might need to put the money up front yourself. It won't be the first time I'm sure that has been done by an association member for the good of the association.

If I was to do this project I'd start the calendars in July and run it for a year and a half. I'd have several available at the convention where I'll bet they'd be sold out but orders could be taken and calendars sent to association members. Being 18 months they'd have a longer shelf life and even be good for Christmas presents.

Once the project was started I'd bet it might grow like a snowball rolling down hill. The project just needs someone to pack that first little ball and start it on its way then look after it to make sure it keeps rolling.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

THANKYOU! :)
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

OK guys, relax. Don't take my previous posts as the whining of someone wondering why someone else won't do something for them. I'm well aware of the issues of volunteerism (if that's a word) as well as the financial issues of running an organization and the hard work of the people that make it all happen. I've had to pick up the ball myself on several items with my EAA chapter because no one would volunteer, so doing it for the TIC170A won't be anything new. I was just a little surprised that with 1400+ members and all the apparent support, the best response rate we could get was 0.01% . Pretty weak.

Bruce, I'm already looking into doing this myself and next week I'll be looking into printing costs and the like. Your idea of an 18 month calendar is a good one and I may do that.

I'll keep everyone posted as I move along.
Doug
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Wouldn't you rather have 12 months of your own plane's pictures? Like pictures of the kids holding Salmon next to the plane in July or the Plane on ski's in January? I'd expect a discount, for the month that you put a picture of Eric's plane, on a calendar that's going on my wall. :lol:
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

AR Dave wrote:Wouldn't you rather have 12 months of your own plane's pictures? Like pictures of the kids holding Salmon next to the plane in July or the Plane on ski's in January? I'd expect a discount, for the month that you put a picture of Eric's plane, on a calendar that's going on my wall. :lol:
Ouch... I can't imagine Eric will let that one slide by... :D
Doug
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Ok for you, Dave........
Doug, if you do produce some calendars, be sure & get a side-view pic of Dave's airplane. DO NOT get a head-on pic, we don't want to be looking at his vacuum pump for a whole month....... :wink: :wink:

Eric ( I just couldn't resist that one!) :oops:
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

zero.one.victor wrote:Ok for you, Dave........
Doug, if you do produce some calendars, be sure & get a side-view pic of Dave's airplane. DO NOT get a head-on pic, we don't want to be looking at his vacuum pump for a whole month....... :wink: :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Doug
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

AR Dave wrote:
zero.one.victor wrote:I've seen stobes mounted atop the tail on 170's & 180's and IMHO it is not attractive.Eric
ERIC, my strobe mounted atop my tail looks way cool!
zero.one.victor wrote:Dave, between the tail-mounted strobe & the nosebowl-mounted vacuum pump, it's obvious that we have very different ideas on what looks cool on a 170! :?

Eric
AR Dave wrote:Wouldn't you rather have 12 months of your own plane's pictures? Like pictures of the kids holding Salmon next to the plane in July or the Plane on ski's in January? I'd expect a discount, for the month that you put a picture of Eric's plane, on a calendar that's going on my wall. :lol:
doug8082a wrote:
zero.one.victor wrote:Ok for you, Dave........

Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX