Calendar

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

It's now a turbo charger only disquised as a vacuum pump!
They'll soon be all the rage!
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Awesome, Dave! Why don't ya gift one to George so he can keep up with Joe? I'm tired of hearing about how slow he is-- it's getting to where I'm embarassed for him!

Eric
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

OK, so who's going to start sending me pics? Seriously, if I'm going to do this I'll need photo submissions from people. Also, I'll need to have the person whose photo is used sign a model release form which basically gives me/The Association the rights to use the pic in the calendar. Not a big deal.

Feel free to submit more than one photo. The bigger selection I have, the better.
Doug
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Doug, just issue the statement that submission of a photo is carte blanc permission to use it. (Since you didn't take the photo without permission, then submitting it to you gives you ownership of it's use.) ?? Or is this another jury question? :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Is that sufficient to cover me and/or the Association should some future 170 owner decide he wants compensation because his aircraft is used in our calendars?
Doug
jmbrwn

Post by jmbrwn »

It is my understanding that unless the pic specifically has "Copy Right Protected" or something along those lines, on it...it would be free to use.
Jim Brown
N9753A
'49 C170A
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

I don't believe that is the case. A person does not have the right to take a photo of you or your property and profit from it without your consent. How would you feel if you were looking at a calendar of, say , houses and saw your picture of your house published without your permission. Depending on the context of the usage of the photo, the owner could sue for libel or invasion of privacy.

Now, don't get me wrong here. I'm certainly NOT looking to profit from this. I just want to produce a calendar and cover the costs. I also do not believe that those who contribute photos would turn around and take legal action. However, I feel it's appropriate to "dot the 'i's' and cross the 'T's'" as it were. I certainly woudn't want the Association as a whole or the B of D to face any trouble down the road if a future owner of an aircraft pictured in the calendar wanted to make any trouble.

I really don't think this would be a big deal. There are numerous examples of Model and Property Release forms on the net. They are fairly straightforward, one page items that can be quickly signed and mailed back. This is a simple CYA exercise that should be done.
Doug
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Doug
All these things you are talking about, taking photos of people for profit are very complicated. There is such a thing as public domain.

When I took photos for our newspaper I didn't have to get releases from the owners of the recked cars or the homeowners whose houses were in the back ground. If I found a camera that had those pictures in it that someone else took and we printed them we may be liable to the photographer if we didn't ask first.

As George said if someone sends you a photo with the specific intent to be used in a calendar for the profit of association you would have implied constent. Now if you print a second calendar or use it to print a calendar for your airport association you might be in trouble.

Of course today we need to cover our butts and a simple release would help if there is a problem. Of course as we all no a release wouldn't necessarily stop a law suit. Sad isn't it. (see the thread on owner maintenance & legal stories)
Last edited by Bruce Fenstermacher on Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Good points Bruce. Regarding the newspaper angle, that would be considered an editorial usage, I imagine, and therefore not an issue for Model release.

I'm not trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill. I'm just trying to make sure there are no backfires down the road. If I don't need releases, that's fine. If I do, then I feel I should follow through on it.
Doug
n3833v

Post by n3833v »

My thoughts, If I have a good looking plane, why not show it to the public as long as someone doesn't take it to make a great profit. I like my plane and to promote the Classic, so be it.
John
John Hess
Past President 2018-2021
President 2016-2018, TIC170A
Vice President 2014-2016, TIC170A
Director 2005-2014, TIC170A
N3833V Flying for Fun
'67 XLH 900 Harley Sportster
EAA Chapter 390 Pres since 2006
K3KNT
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Those of you who may so inclined, send me some pics. I have a line on a printing service and will be contacting them tomorrow regarding some specifics. At this point it looks like I'll be doing a run of 50, but I'll know better after I speak with them.

In order to do the calendar I'll need 14 images - 12 months plus front cover and "Next year" shots. The images need to be high resolution. In other words, if you have a digital camera or scanner and have an image that is, say, 1.5 mb DO NOT convert it to something smaller like a .JPG at 125kb. Doing so will degrade the image to the compression algorithms and it won't reproduce well for the calendar. I need the original high resolution image. I will take it and convert it to the format required by the printing service.
Doug
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

At the rate you guys are going, you had better plan on a 2006 calendar!
Why don't you each pull the C-170 pictures you like off of the C-170 picture site and print them out on your computer, then paste them on a generic calendar. You know, one of those with skimpily clad young ladies as are found in maintenance hangar rest rooms (the calendars, not the young ladies) and are published by tool companies.
For that matter, why not just get a tool company calander with skimpily clad young ladies. You can look at airplanes any old time out on the apron.
My $2 worth. (i don't work cheap)

P.S. The skimpily clad ladies should be physically well endowed. There will be no extra points given for higher formal education or musical talent.
BL
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Ok, I've spoken to the printing company and I have learned that I have quite a bit of flexibility given I'm only using the "base" package. Their product is 28 pages which, for 2005, means I can actually do a 14 month calendar Jan-05 - Feb-06 which would still give us something useful even though we are already into 2005.

So, I now need 16 images. I'm doing this out of my own pocket and only wish to recoup my expenses. It looks like the price would be in the $8-$9 range per calendar. Not bad if you ask me. Expecially since I'm only doing a run of 50. SO, now's your chance to have a professional C170 calendar. If I can get 16 GOOD images from people (see my last post) QUICKLY, then I can do this. If we are successful, maybe the B of D will take it on next year.

Do you want a calendar or not? If so, let's see some pics. Sorry BL, I can't provide the scantily clad women. Perhaps you could substitue for one of them? 8O

BTW, IF the 50 sell out, I can always do another run if there's enough interest.
Doug
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

I've started to receive photo submissions for the calendar. Thanks to those of you who have sent something so far. I still need several more so keep 'em coming. Don't forget that good interior and/or panel shots are also welcome. Also, how about some shots of 170s on floats or skis? How about a line up of 170s from, say, Oshkosh or the 170 Convention or something?

Keep sending those pics.
Doug
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Someone at work made a calendar for 2005. They took everyone's pictures in the same manner. Instead of one picture per month, they would have a colage (sp) of pictures. You could put a picture of the plane, and then the interior, panel, etc.. along with it. Like I would need a close up picture of my turbo charger, inset just for Eric.