FAR question / I'm confused 8)

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Bruce Fenstermacher

FAR question / I'm confused 8)

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I thought I knew the answer to this question but can't find the FAR or maybe I'm confused.

Flying under part 91, not for hire, VFR, at night is a flashlight with 2 "D" size cells or equivalent required?

I thought so but can't find the FAR. Tried searching the FARs electronically but can't find any regulation. Perhaps it doesn't exist or maybe has changed or I'm confusing it with for hire or 135 operations. HELP
[/code]
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

I don't recall ever seeing that in the FARs for Part 91. I carry a couple mini-mag lites ("AA" batts), but even that isn't required.
Doug
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

I remember being taught that it was a regulation that you had to have a flashlight, spare batteries, and spare bulb when flying at night. If it was a regulation back when, it would certainly be surprising if they have removed it. I carry at least one spare flashlight and also a neat headband light, and have a red light hanging on the headliner zipper that you squeeze to turn it on, it will light up one instrument at a time.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

I'm reminded of the old joke about the pilot's definition of "flashlight": a tube kept onboard the airplane for carrying dead batteries in.
Just checked Part 91.205 equipment requirements. For night VFR, all you need is position lights & collision light, plus all the day VFR-req'd stuff of course. No mention of flashlights.
This is outa my old (1995) FAR-AIM.

Eric
Bruce Fenstermacher

And then there is this:

Subpart F—Large and Turbine-Powered Multiengine Airplanes and Fractional Ownership Program Aircraft
§ 91.503 Flying equipment and operating information.
(a) The pilot in command of an airplane shall ensure that the following flying equipment and aeronautical charts and data, in current and appropriate form, are accessible for each flight at the pilot station of the airplane:
(1) A flashlight having at least two size “D” cells, or the equivalent, that is in good working order.

I guess the cockpits of large turbine-powered multiengine airplanes that are fractionally owned are dark requiring a flashlight all the time. 8O

doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

N9149A wrote:And then there is this:

Subpart F—Large and Turbine-Powered Multiengine Airplanes and Fractional Ownership Program Aircraft
§ 91.503 Flying equipment and operating information.
(a) The pilot in command of an airplane shall ensure that the following flying equipment and aeronautical charts and data, in current and appropriate form, are accessible for each flight at the pilot station of the airplane:
(1) A flashlight having at least two size “D” cells, or the equivalent, that is in good working order.

I guess the cockpits of large turbine-powered multiengine airplanes that are fractionally owned are dark requiring a flashlight all the time. 8O
Well, you'll note that it says nothing about the number of "D" cells matching the number required for operating the flashlight. Based on how it's written, I could have a big 'ol mag-lite that uses 4 "D" cells that is in "good working order", but only need to have 2 "D" cells to be legal. 8)
Doug
Jr.CubBuilder

Post by Jr.CubBuilder »

It looks like they took the flashlight requirement out, it's not in my 2003 FAR/AIM under the VFR night section of 91.205. One of these years I really ought to read that book, it's the second one I've bought and I still haven't read it.
Bruce Fenstermacher

So JR
I'm not out-to-lunch as you seem to imply you remember the requirement.

BTW the new language when it appears stipulates that the 2 "D" size cell or equivalent be in working order. That would imply that the batteries (all that are required) are installed and the light illuminates when you turn on the switch.

TP

Post by TP »

Wellll eyes remembers dis. Dat ins novembers ofs 2003 whens eyes gots my piece ofs plastic theys was stills teaching dat there thingy abouts de flash light... :wink:
I must be okay cause, I haven't gotten a letter from the FAA.
Jr.CubBuilder

Post by Jr.CubBuilder »

I'm not implying anything, it's not in the FAR/AIM 2003 sitting on my desk gathering dust. I remember it from five years ago when I was a student, and I wouldn't fly at night without one.
zero.one.victor

Jr.CubBuilder wrote:It looks like they took the flashlight requirement out, it's not in my 2003 FAR/AIM under the VFR night section of 91.205. One of these years I really ought to read that book, it's the second one I've bought and I still haven't read it.
Don't read it! That way when you get accused of busting some FAR, you can plead ignorance & keep a straight face. 8) (sunglasses help too)
3" tailnumbers are useful for avoiding these situations.

Eric
TP

Post by TP »

As student I had all the little wijets but no far/aim. When I went for my oral interveiw I snagged the FBO's on my way down the hall. Anyway I just bought one (2005) and found another use for it beside it's duty's as a coster. :) Try looking up 91.503 section (a) first item on the list. Now before my drink makes a ring on the coffee table.................. :P :P Hummm perhaps I should have readed the other posting's a little more closely. But my take on 91.503 is that it is a stand on it's own. Not part of subpart f- large and turbine powered multiengine airplanes . This is just taking way to long to type with my one finger. :twisted:
I must be okay cause, I haven't gotten a letter from the FAA.
Jr.CubBuilder

Post by Jr.CubBuilder »

I guess I better amend my previous statement. The flashlight requirement isn't in FAR 91.205 (C) for VFR night in my 2003 book. It seems to me that it would be a good idea, but now.........................................................s**t (^&%*&) now I'm reading this 91.503 and it appears that I'm supposed to have a checklist as well. :oops: Now I'm going to have to find that little fold-a-matic flippy checklist thing I bought and stick that in my flight bag as well. That damm bag is begining to feel more and more like a womans purse, it just keeps getting bigger and has an amazing assortment of junk in it. Along with my favorite mini mag light and some extra batteries that I can use when the TV remote is dead at home. :wink:
zero.one.victor

Naw, 91.503 is part of "Subpart F- Large & Turbine-Powered Multiengine Aircraft". The 170 is a helluva airplane, but Subpart F is not applicable. :wink:

Eric
Jr.CubBuilder

Post by Jr.CubBuilder »

I think I'll just put it back on the bookshelf, right under the coffee mug.