Flare tubes...

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

russfarris

Flare tubes...

Post by russfarris »

I'm curious if anyone has a 170 with the flare tubes still installed or at least the three holes covered over. They would be on the left rear fuselage. The idea was if the engine failed at night, you could drop parachute flares to illluminate the crash site... I mean landing zone. Optional for private owners, they were required for commercial operators - even DC-6s and Convairs had them. They were done away with by 1955, as the magnesium flare was deemed more of a hazard than a forced landing in the dark.

I've seen quite a few on Cessna 195s and early Bonanzas, and I saw a 170 years ago with the three holes plated over. Anybody have an airplane with them? Russ Farris
All glory is fleeting...
N170BP

Post by N170BP »

A friend has them on his early 180 (they're
patched over with flush patches).
Bela P. Havasreti
'54 C-180
Metal Master

Post by Metal Master »

My 170 A has the holes plated over. I have it planned to remove them and clean them up because there is a little corrosion growing around the edges of the round plates but I am going to keep them there. I can take a digital picture of them and send it to you if you like

I have some pretty old flying buddies but I have not met anyone who actually knew how theses things were used operationally. Does anyone actually know?. We thought it would be great to have them operational. It would scare people to have them get set off as you over-fly the airport. But then there are concerns about setting peoples airplanes and houses on fire. :wink:

Jim
A&P, IA, New owner C170A N1208D, Have rebuilt some 50 aircraft. So many airplanes, So little time!
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

I just recently read an article by a guy who owned a 170 ( I think), which still had the old parachute flare system installed from it's time as a charter plane back in the 50's. He thought having the old-fangled flare system was pretty cool, but was worried about the potential for disaster flying around with 3 live magnesium flares on board. After some investigation, he sent the flares back to the manufacturer who converted them to dummies, after which he reinstalled them.
I can't recall where I read this article, maybe an old 170 News or EAA Vintage magazine. I've seen some flush-patched flare holes on 170's, but never the original flare system. I agree with the author of the article, that'd be pretty cool to have, as long as it didn't hinder normal use of the airplane.

Eric
zero.one.victor

It was driving me nuts trying to remember where I'd read that article. I finally found it in the 170 Assn SRAM Book, in the electrical section ( I guess cuz the flares were electrically fired) page 17-5. The mfr is listed as the Kilgour Corp of Toone Tenessee 901-658-5231. The reason given in the article for wanting a "dud" system, other than weight, is that apparently there have been instances of a static electrical discharge thru the aircraft on the ground firing off the flares, after which they were ejected onto the ground & caught the airplane on fire. :oops:
Good reason to deactivate them!

Eric
russfarris

Post by russfarris »

There is a picture of the flare installation on page 151 of the illustrated parts manual. The control panel is located at the left wing root, in front of the fuel gauge. The flares themselves are in the baggage compartment, below the hat shelf.

I'm curious about anyone ever actually firing these things in an emergency. I know we have some senior members out there (you know who you are!) Anyone ever heard any war stories on this? Russ Farris
All glory is fleeting...
zero.one.victor

At least around the northwest, it sounds like a pretty good way to set the woods on fire!
It'd be pretty good for burning out "nesters", for you ranchers out there.

Eric