PWT (Bremerton Airport) today

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

fitenfyr

PWT (Bremerton Airport) today

Post by fitenfyr »

Ok took the family to the Airport diner for lucnh and around 1:00 we saw a REALLY nice 170/180 couldn't tell the difference yet. :D
White with a dark blue or black trim. 597 somethign was the N number. I forgot to write it down.
It had great climb perfomance and sounded like a bunch of ticked off bees so I figure it had a climb prop.

Just trying to get some background on that airplane.
I am still trying to talk my partner into a 170/180. :D
Jason Stiffey
Fly fast...Live slow....
beeliner

Post by beeliner »

170/180 ? Round tail = 170; square tail = 170. I like the performance of the 180 and the handling, view, appearance, and operating costs of the 170. I guess that's why I've got a 170.
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

If you're having a problem of type recognition between the 170 and the 180, you need to do a lot more homework before you invest in either one!
BL
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

blueldr wrote:If you're having a problem of type recognition between the 170 and the 180, you need to do a lot more homework before you invest in either one!
Well, since the 170 and the 170 both have either a round or a square tail...welll......now I'm confused too!!! :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Harold Holiman

Post by Harold Holiman »

A 180 is just a "Overgrown 170 With A Funny (square) Tail". Hope to see all at Petit Jean.

Harold
N92CP
Metal Master

Post by Metal Master »

I have been considering what it would take to put a large round tail on a 180 by an STC to correct the mistake Cessna made. Now I am sure that would cause tongues to wag. :P
Now where did I put that bottle of scotch!!! :oops:
A&P, IA, New owner C170A N1208D, Have rebuilt some 50 aircraft. So many airplanes, So little time!
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

Metal Master wrote:I have been considering what it would take to put a large round tail on a 180 by an STC to correct the mistake Cessna made. Now I am sure that would cause tongues to wag. :P
Now where did I put that bottle of scotch!!! :oops:
It is permissible to skip the 180 and go to a 190! :wink:
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Let's confuse Jason even more--how about a straight-tail 172 converted to tailwheel gear? Maybe throw in a 180-horse conversion with c/s prop for good measure.
Keep looking & learning, Jason-- none of us could tell the difference between two different model airplanes before we learned how. (huh?) Even Private Pilot magazine captioned a photo of a straight-tail Cessna 150 taildragger as a "Cessna 180" a few years ago.
Me & a friend were up at Concrete about a year ago when some guys flew in. I believe they were in an Apache-- maybe a CFI & his multi- students? Anyway, one of them complimented my buddy on his "nice Stinson". Only trouble is, it's a Luscombe -- I guess the guy was misled by the "S" ( for Silvaire) painted on the cowl. We didn't want to embarass him, so we just mounted up & left. :P

Eric
fitenfyr

Post by fitenfyr »

Oh yeah.
I could throw a half dozen model helicopter pictures out here and most people wouldn't have a clue what they were called. :D

As soon as I read this I felt like an idiot, because I DO know that a 180 has a straight tail. :oops: Just didn't think to look at that particular aircraft to note which tail it had. :D

Thanks guys

BTW was the board down for awhile?
I hadn't checked in since I posted this then all of a sudden I got messages a month later.
Jason Stiffey
Fly fast...Live slow....
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

fitenfyr wrote:Oh yeah.
I could throw a half dozen model helicopter pictures out here and most people wouldn't have a clue what they were called. :D
That's an easy one. They're all called.....con-trap-shuns! (Don't get conned into believing they are airplanes-Don't get trap'ped in one-Shun them completely!) :lol:

Quote from "How to Fly Aeroplanes" by the aviation humorist Stevens: "When thinking about learning how to fly, do not consider helicopters. Helicopters are not airplanes. Helicopters do not fly. You are not interested in Helicopters."

(Damn! Where'd I put that Nomex suit???!!) :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
fitenfyr

Post by fitenfyr »

Good one! I hadn't heard those. :D

They are simply a collection of parts flying in close formation...:D

Gotta love them though. :D
Jason Stiffey
Fly fast...Live slow....
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

George George George

By now you should have learned never to remove your nomex suit.

Helicopter people are revolutionists!

You are right about helicopters not flying. They beat the air into submission.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Jr.CubBuilder

Post by Jr.CubBuilder »

fitenfyr don't wouldn't feel like an idiot. I used to park my 170 next to this really tired forgotten/rotting 180. One day I said to my mechanic: Is this the first year of the 180? I thought they all had CS props on them?

Turned out it was a straight tail 172 with a Bolen tailwheel conversion. Sad really it looked straight as far as the sheetmetal went, but the inside was gutted and it was covered in bird sh**. An older fellow apparantly owned it, couldn't fly it, couldn't afford to repair it, but apparantly inclined to sell it, so there it has sat for years rotting.

Kind of makes me depressed just thinking about it. It's like a dog just baking to death in the desert. :cry:
Jr.CubBuilder

Post by Jr.CubBuilder »

that should be WASN'T inclined to sell it
Harold Holiman

Post by Harold Holiman »

A "Overgrown 170" (180) will also fly as slow as George's 170 when it has too. Doesn't burn any more fuel than George at that sloooo speed either. :P

Harold
N92CP