Serial numbers from 25000 through 25372

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Alan

Serial numbers from 25000 through 25372

Post by Alan »

I own 1952 170B CF-FVD manufacture's serial # 25112.

I notice in the "Cessna 170 Timeless Classic Book" page 10, where it lists aircraft by serial # and dates, that there is a group of numbers that are not shown as ever having existed ! My 25112 SN being one of those numbers.

I have racked my brain and can't find the reason for the missing #'s. I am now begining to think I don't realy have a C170 but only think I do ?? Alas that isn't true as I just came back from touching it, seeing it, talking to it and ensuring it is ready for the winter months about to arrive here.

The answer to this is probably so obvious it will make you all wonder what's wrong with me. I don't think anything is wrong but I'm starting to wonder. My wife thinks there are lots of things "not quite normal" with me and I can't understand that either !

One thing I do know is I can't figure out why the missing numbers. I need some help--fast-- as I'm just about to rush out and buy another C170B that has a SN listed in this gorgeous book, and that's one of the things my wife would say is "not quite normal" !! Can some bright person send me an explanation.

Thanks

Alan[/list]
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Don't know the answer Alan but quick before you figure it out go buy another plane. that way when you do figure it out you'll have 2 airplanes. Theres only on thing better than owning 1 plane and that's owning 2 :!:
Last edited by Bruce Fenstermacher on Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

If you take a close look at that list of s/n's & production years for the various 170 models, you'll see that something is haywire with the s/n scheme for the 52 model. They list s/n 20267-24999, that seems to indicate that over 4,000 were made that year. but the listing goes on to state that 1186 were produced. There is also a reference to a parking brake change starting with s/n 250000. So somethings not quite kosher with that year's s/n's, aparently they skipped some in the sequence.

Eric
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

An unfortunate typographical error exists in the 170 book. 1952 models were numbered up to 25372, but were left out of mention in the book. Otherwise, Cessna changed their method of assigning serial numbers to all models of aircraft in 1952, resulting in a mixed/non-contiguous numbering system. The result is that the range of numbers in 1952 do not correspond to the actual number of aircraft produced.
According to former C-170 test pilot W. D. Thompson, the total number of 170's produced were 5,173. (Two of these were given especially out-of sequence 3-digit numbers, which is why many sources state incorrectly that only 5,171 aircraft were produced.) The two out-of-sequence aircraft were used as factory test/modification birds.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Alan

1952 Serial numbers.

Post by Alan »

Thanks for your input gentelmen. I really didn't give it too much serious thought other than starting to look for another 170 with an existing SN!!! I should have moved more quickly and bought one before I received the explanation. Oh well, maybe I can sneak one home here anyway.

Thank
Alan :?