PROPELLER STC

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

buchanan

PROPELLER STC

Post by buchanan »

I'm looking for STC holders or whatever authorization is necessary to hang a 80 inch Hartsell with the harmonic dampener on a AVCON conversion 180hp Lycoming O-360-A1A. I talked to Dave Stoots in Fairbanks and he says he has an STC and wants $800 fot the "paper-work". The prop in question is a HC-C2YR-1-BF/F8477-4. I'm wondering if there is a different, more affordable, avenue? Mike Vivion, do you have a 80" prop on your 170 and if so what did you do?

Thanks all and best wishes, Buck Buchanan
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

The latest (Q3/04) 170 News has a Hartzell ad on page 20. It lists

"170A,B,172,175 w/O-360 $8,495 (2-blade w/ damper) ".........
800-942-7767 topprop@hartzellprop.com http://www.hartzellprop.com

Is that the one you're interested in? Sounds like Hartzell themselves have the STC, or whatever approval is needed. They've been advertizing it for a while now.

Eric
buchanan

Post by buchanan »

Thanks Eric,

I surfed google and found that URL. I couldn't tell from the site if they sell the STC separately or if the prop/STC is a package deal. I got a phone number from the site and will call them tomorrow.

Good eating to all. I'm about to do that here................Buck
mvivion

Post by mvivion »

Buchanan,

Hartzell bought the stc from Jim Hancock, who got the stc. You can buy the prop, spinner, harmonic damper, and paper for one price, or you can buy just the spinner, harmonic damper and paper for a much lesser price.

The spinner is different than that used in the standard Hartzell Avcon installation, and you need the damper so that's probably the best deal, all in all, and was designed by Hartzell to offer the person who finds a set of blades and rebuilds his own prop the option to get the stc and miscellaneous pieces without having to buy a new prop.

You might talk to Kristin Bendikson of Hartzell about purchasing the stc paperwork individually, but my understanding is they don't want to do that. I could be wrong, though.

All in all, the spinner, damper and paperwork deal is likely the best overall. Last I looked it was about $1500 for this stuff, which is reasonable.

You don't want to hear the story about how my prop got approved. Its pretty entertaining, but too long for this forum. That said, it is this prop, and it works well on the 170.

Mike V
mvivion

Post by mvivion »

Buck,

Any luck?

Mike
buchanan

Post by buchanan »

Mike, Dave Stoots in your town will send me just the paper-work for $800
:>( That seems steep to me but maybe he is the only game in town. I tried Hartzell on Friday but got no one but an answering machine at the "Top Prop" shop. I'll try again Monday. The prop I'm interested in is a Husky Prop from BC. He switched to a MT.

Stoots did say that my spinner would work on the 80 incher. Does that sound right to you?

Best........Buck
mvivion

Post by mvivion »

Buck,

Your spinner WILL work on that prop, BUT it is not the spinner that is required by the STC, so will require a field approval to deviate from the provisions of the STC. That's what I wound up doing, but for other reasons. The stock Avcon spinner isn't the best choice for this installation, for a couple of reasons, but Dave is correct, it will work.

So, unless Stoots has a different STC than Hancock's, it'll require a field approval for a deviation.

Mike
buchanan

Post by buchanan »

I bought the STC from Kris at Hartzell. I bought BC's prop which came off his Husky and he had advertised on the Husky list. They are both to be shipped. Kris at Hartzell seemed quite nice and knowledgeable. She is in the Top Prop section. I probably saved a couple thousand :>) I hope it is worth the bucks.

The Best.............Buck
mvivion

Post by mvivion »

Buck,

Kris was very helpful to me when I went that route. She's knowledgeable and helpful, just the way customer service folks are supposed to be.

And that's refreshing. Glad you got it sorted out.

Mike