NEED HANGAR

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

170C

NEED HANGAR

Post by 170C »

How about it D/FW Metroplex 170 ers, anybody have knowledge of any enclosed T hangars for rent, preferably in South, Southwest or West metroplex areas? My current airport is going to become a horse farm!

thanks,
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Tell 'em you've got 145 of them and want to keep them in a barn! :wink:
Seriously Frank, which airport is closing?
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Always a bummer when another airport goes away. What caused that to happen? A small private strip neat here just got itself "de-charted",from what I heard it was due to pressure (or perceived pressure) from FAA/TSA to provide a security plan,perimeter fencing,etc. The runway was never X'd out that I saw, but I guess the 3 or 4 airplanes based there moved away.
I'm surprised that so many of the smaller airports manage to stay afloat-- renting out hangars/tiedowns & selling a little fuel ( if they even do that) can't be much income to counter what must be sky-high property taxes, at least for those small privately owned airports in rural-becoming-suburban locations. I'm sure it's a labor of love.

Eric
N170BP

Post by N170BP »

Eric, which private strip (near us) got de-charted?

(haven't heard anything about it....).
Bela P. Havasreti
'54 C-180
zero.one.victor

Bela, it was a little 2000 or so foot grass strip near Sequim, ID'd as "Davis" on the sectional. Davis Sand & Gravel owns it (it's right next door to a gravel pit). Only about 4 hangars & nothing to fly in there for, so it's not a huge loss, but I hate to see any of them go away.
I seem to recall hearing about something going on with Auburn Academy-- hangar development maybe? You hear any scuttlebutt about it?
Oh, BTW, I saw N170PB the other day. It's a tan-colored B model, (I think) on leaseback to an FBO (ProAire) at Arlington.

Eric
N170BP

Post by N170BP »

zero.one.victor wrote:Bela, it was a little 2000 or so foot grass strip near Sequim, ID'd as "Davis" on the sectional. Davis Sand & Gravel owns it (it's right next door to a gravel pit). Only about 4 hangars & nothing to fly in there for, so it's not a huge loss, but I hate to see any of them go away.
I seem to recall hearing about something going on with Auburn Academy-- hangar development maybe? You hear any scuttlebutt about it?
Oh, BTW, I saw N170PB the other day. It's a tan-colored B model, (I think) on leaseback to an FBO (ProAire) at Arlington.

Eric
I heard (rumor only) the Academy sold the airport portion and someone
is building it up for themselves (looks like they put in a new N/S runway,
plus looks like a hangar is going up). I've heard a gal flying that
170 (N170PB) around at Arlington. She was calling herself "one-seven
zero-peanut-butter" on the radio. It's an A model. God help that
poor thing (seein' as how it's on leaseback & available for rent).
I rented N4590C (a '53 B, it's the one that was featured upside-down /
crashed on the advertisement for BAS shoulder harnesses) for several
years before I bought my B model and the darned thing got wrecked 3
times while it was on leaseback. The owner finally had enough, and sold
it to a guy in California, who promptly wrecked/crashed it again!
Bela P. Havasreti
'54 C-180
170C

Airport Closing

Post by 170C »

The airport (42XS) I have used for almost 20 yrs (since its inception) belongs to a friend of mine & is a 2000 ft. grass strip with 15 hangars (only 4 rented) just west of Fort Worth. Owner has had it for sale for several years hoping to sell to someone wanting to keep it as an airport, but no takers. Lots of lookers, but none with the $$. Next door neighbor trains horses & riders and has a contract to purchase the 12 acres of runway & hangars to convert to more stalls & pasture. Seems strange that renters were difficult to find with most airports in the Fort Worth/Dallas area having long waiting lists. Guess a lot of pilots are afraid of grass strips and those not 3000 feet or longer (tells you something about a lot of todays pilots/drivers IMHO) and not having red carpet service! Oh well, another one bites the dust. A real shame.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
zero.one.victor

How many 170 pilots in the D/FW area? If it's not too late, maybe you could form a consortium & buy/lease the airport. About how much was the owner asking for it? Probably too darn much, but it's a nice pipe dream.
Surprised also that hangars weren't full up-- guess you're right, today's pilots are scared of anything that's not at least 3,000 feet & paved. of course, from what I've seen,some of them have good reason to be scared........ 8O

Eric
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

That is a shame. Here in Eastern PA there isn't such a thing as an unrented hanger. Most people wait years on a list to get a hanger which at all the airports around me will cost between $250 and $350 a month.

Another difference here than your situation is the airport wouldn't become a horse farm but a development with 200 new homes. :cry:
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The problem with grass runways is most (uninformed/ignorant) insurance companies will not insure an airplane based on a grass rwy.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
Harold Holiman

Post by Harold Holiman »

George,

I thought most insurance companies would insure landings on grass as long as it was a dedicated airport. I've had Avemco, AOPA, and now Bill White for my insurance and all covered grass strips. I understand the pilot skill issue on short strips but, other than that, why would they except grass? A good grass strip is much easier on the aircraft than concrete IMHO.

Harold
N92CP
doakes

Post by doakes »

Seems strange that insurance co won't do the grass thing.
I have private 1000' grass and am insured with AIG.
go figure
Dave
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Check with your own underwriter as to the language in your policy. But many policies will cover an aircraft operated on grass....but will not cover an aircraft based on an airport that has only grass runways.
170C

Hangar needed

Post by 170C »

Well we tried to attract several potential buyers to purchase the airport & keep it opertating & I believe all the hangars could have been filled + some, but this area is growing quickly and there are housing developments around the airport now that weren't there a few years ago. I insure a host of building contractors in a 4 state area & I can assure you that there is more money to be made by putting houses on airport property than operating airports or raising/training horses even though the Fort Worth/Dallas area has the highest per capita of horses in the US & the housing boom has been going on here for years & shows no sign of slowing down.

My insurance carrier (Travers, formerly AIG) has never quibbled about my grass based plane. I sure like landing on the grass as opposed to pavement, unless its muddy. Oh well, the perils of Pauline!!!!!!
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

You know Frank, ...if your airplane weren't so green and so slow...I'd let you tie store it in my hangar here at the ranch. Ole GAR has his 150 in here now, and there's room for one more.....but it's blue...and faster than any DFW area green things, of course. :wink:
Look fwd to seeing you guys at Reklaw! :D