To-Do-Item #1 Solid Ski Axle

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

kimble

Post by kimble »

Question:

1. When or on what model did the solid axle come into use?

2. What is the part number of the solid axle?

Thanks,
Kimble
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

1.Convert to either the Solid Ski Axle (PN 0541124-1) (or the H.D. steel axles with the proper documentation) to avoid breakage of the standard hollow aluminum axles. Inspect the axle attach bolt holes for cracks with a magnifying glass/dye penetrant. Radius the holes. Check for AN6 lower bolt holes and install/radius them if not present. AN bolts are OK, NAS are stronger.

This axle was originally designed as a stronger axle intended for the high-abuse ski installations that had previously experienced occasional failures of the original hollow aluminum axle. A subsequent hollow aluminum axle had been introduced as well, but the solid (aluminum) axle was specified for the skis.

Some owners opine the hollow axles aren't that hazardous, but I made this recommendation based upon reports of hollow axle breakage. Subsequently Cessna produced a hollow steel axle (stronger than aluminum) for larger aircraft which has been successfully installed on 170's with additional approval basis, and an aftermarket hollow steel axle is also available, although it will also require a basis of approval for installation. Search under "solid axles" for other discussions on the subject.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
N3243A

Post by N3243A »

gahorn wrote:To-Do-Item #1 Solid Ski Axle

Subsequently Cessna produced a hollow steel axle (stronger than aluminum) for larger aircraft which has been successfully installed on 170's with additional approval basis, and an aftermarket hollow steel axle is also available, although it will also require a basis of approval for installation. Search under "solid axles" for other discussions on the subject.
Good advice, thanks for the research on this one George!!! :lol:
kimble

solid axle

Post by kimble »

George,

I guess I asked the wrong question. Was any model 170 ever produced with the solid axle as standard equipment.

Kimble
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

N3243A wrote:
gahorn wrote:To-Do-Item #1 Solid Ski Axle

Subsequently Cessna produced a hollow steel axle (stronger than aluminum) for larger aircraft which has been successfully installed on 170's with additional approval basis, and an aftermarket hollow steel axle is also available, although it will also require a basis of approval for installation. Search under "solid axles" for other discussions on the subject.
Good advice, thanks for the research on this one George!!! :lol:
Well, Bruce, some of us are born smart, and some of us get smart, some of us are forced to get smart, ...and some of us are just smart A--'es! :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

gahorn wrote:
Well, Bruce, some of us are born smart, and some of us get smart, some of us are forced to get smart, ...and some of us are just smart A--'es! :lol:
:lol: Now George, wasn't that you in the dark at Reklaw last year that sat on an ice creame cone and told everybody what flavor it was! :lol: THAT's a smart A--! :lol: :lol:
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
spiro

Re: solid axle

Post by spiro »

kimble wrote:George,

I guess I asked the wrong question. Was any model 170 ever produced with the solid axle as standard equipment.

Kimble
the standard hollow Al axle was 0441140 thru A model #19218 then 0541124. 0541124-1 is the solid Al axle which was optional HD for skis on 170's and standard on 180's thru '63 and 182's thru '61.
kimble

solid axle

Post by kimble »

Spiro,

Thanks, that answered my question.

Kimble