unIMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Reminder: gahorn is NOT the webmaster. I am only the moderator. The webmaster is the TIC170A Treasurer.
This forum is not the best way to communicate with the Directors and Officers. The best way is either email, snailmail, or phone (probably least preferred.)
Voting in polls here at the forums may indicate a general consensus, however it carries no weight with regard to the Association By Laws. Official voting occurs at membership meetings and/or Board meetings....all of which are open meetings and which receive advance public notice in the Flypaper and on this website. Minutes are kept of all meetings.
I am personally in favor of public participation in our forums, enhanced with certain new "value added" features for TIC170A members that I will be proposing shortly. I also favor taking "Members Issues" to a "members only" status. Otherwise, I like the forums pretty much as they've existed. I will be communicating these comments to the board.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

N9149A wrote:............... What I'm trying to say is I believe if we voice our disapproval of this decision in a positive manner to the board, we will be heard.

The best way to communicate with the board of directors and tell them how you feel is by email.

Most of the email addresses of the directors are printed in the Fly Paper which, if you don't have the current copy, it is available in the members only section of the Association web site............

I believe the Directors have the best interest of the Association in mind but have gone off course with this decision. Lets let them know how we feel and get them on course again.
Good thinking, Bruce. The latest (Sept 04) Flypaper has a list of the current Directors, all except one of whom have an email address listed. I am going to email all of them about this issue right now. I urge all the other members who want to keep the forums open to "outsiders" to do the same. Maybe they'll see the light & reverse their (bad) decision.

Eric
Tom Downey

Post by Tom Downey »

I think I agree with GA's statement, If the topic has to do with internal affairs of the 170- association the members should decide not the general public, but if a person is asking for information you do them a dis service by excluding some very knowledgable non members.
Tom Downey A&P-IA
AR Dave

Webmaster

Post by AR Dave »

George, as webmaster I would think you could do something about this!
AR Dave

Just Harrasing!

Post by AR Dave »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
zero.one.victor

Like I said earlier, I think everyone should email the members of the Board. It only takes a few minutes, do one email & address it to all of them. I did it earlier (right after my earlier post), but got one back as undeliverable. I guess Jack Zimmer's email address was incorrectly listed in the Flypaper. I just looked at it again, I think I see where the mistake is so I'm gonna try him again. Oops, Bruce just emailed me the correct address for Zimmer,thanks Bruce.
I would sure think that if the Board is inundated with letters favoring keeping the forums open to non-members (except the member issues forum), they will reverse their decision on this. So, everybody get off your duffs & email them!

Eric
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The forums have been reconfigured to the following conditions:
The Pilot Lounge, The Hangar, Events/FlyIns are all public areas for reading and posting messages.
The MX Library and the TradeMart may be read by anyone, but may only be posted to by TIC170A members.
Members Issues is only available to TIC170A members.
Thank you for your patience while the board was down yesterday due to a power supply failure.
Attn members: Please go to the top of this page, select "Profile" and enable your avatar (TIC170A logo)
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
n3833v

Post by n3833v »

I can understand about posting things for sale and certain other aspects for the closed forum, but the Hanger and Pilot Lounge should remain open for the open exchange of information. I have learned very much about this plane before and after I have owned it.
John Hess
Past President 2018-2021
President 2016-2018, TIC170A
Vice President 2014-2016, TIC170A
Director 2005-2014, TIC170A
N3833V Flying for Fun
'67 XLH 900 Harley Sportster
EAA Chapter 390 Pres since 2006
K3KNT
zero.one.victor

gahorn wrote:The forums have been reconfigured to the following conditions:
The Pilot Lounge, The Hangar, Events/FlyIns are all public areas for reading and posting messages.
The MX Library and the TradeMart may be read by anyone, but may only be posted to by TIC170A members.
Members Issues is only available to TIC170A members.
Thank you for your patience while the board was down yesterday due to a power supply failure.
Attn members: Please go to the top of this page, select "Profile" and enable your avatar (TIC170A logo)
Excellent! Thanks George.

Eric
KenB

Post by KenB »

This issue appears to be settled, but I would like to include a new members perspective. I’ve owned my 170 for just over two years and have referred to these forums often during and prior to my ownership. They have been invaluable. The friendly flow along with the tremendous amount of information available contributed significantly to my decision to become an owner. It has also helped keep a smile on my face while taking care of some of the expenses, expected and unexpected, that I’ve encountered along the way. I’m proud to be a member of the GA community and this association has contributed significantly to that. Unfortunately, for various reasons, it’s taken until now for me to become a member, but the checks in the mail and I’ll be here for at least the next three years. Thanks, Ken
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Yeaaah, Ken! Welcome!! (and post an avatar!)
flyguy

LATER FER THU PARTY

Post by flyguy »

SHOOT!!! I GESS BEEIN LOSS INA SWAMP MISS ME GITTIN TU HOLLER FER MY TEEM(^&#%&**__

I just had to put him in the box for a little time. I think the forums have been remarkedly free of too much outside interference. Many of the forums I have perused in the past had posters who distorted facts and misused those forums for capricious and slanderous posts. I have noticed here occasionally a "newbie" or "wanna bes" posting inquiries for information. If these post aren't too juvenile or obviously false, I will just slide on over without much concern. Thus my vote would have been to "stand down" the censoring or closing off access, of non members on the forums. The final arrangement seems the best of choices.

Thanks to Dale and OLE GAY HORN FER GITTIN IT RITE--- :wink:
OLE GAR SEZ - 4 Boats, 4 Planes, 4 houses. I've got to quit collecting!
zero.one.victor

Oh, BTW, I did get a prompt reply from Duane Shockey ( in fact, two of them) in response to my emailing of the Board members regarding forum access. Stating what the new rules are gonna be for the various forums. Totally acceptable to me. And I salute Duane & the Board for doing the right thing in response to our comments! :D

Eric
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Eric and all

I would also like to add that I received responses to my emails to the board and the favorable outcome I believe was a direct response to our emails.

Over the last two conventions I have meet most of the people involved in the TIC170A and there is not one I don't like. They all have a genuine interest in preserving the Cessna 170 and the friendships and comradery the association has provided them. I am happy to be a member.

If you are not a TIC170A member and most forum members aren't please consider joining the association. I'm sure the annual dues will come back to you three fold if it hasn't already, just by having the forums available with volunteer members willing to share information.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
zero.one.victor

gahorn wrote:Reminder: gahorn is NOT the webmaster. I am only the moderator. The webmaster is the TIC170A Treasurer.
This forum is not the best way to communicate with the Directors and Officers. The best way is either email, snailmail, or phone (probably least preferred.)
Voting in polls here at the forums may indicate a general consensus, however it carries no weight with regard to the Association By Laws. Official voting occurs at membership meetings and/or Board meetings....all of which are open meetings and which receive advance public notice in the Flypaper and on this website. Minutes are kept of all meetings.
I am personally in favor of public participation in our forums, enhanced with certain new "value added" features for TIC170A members that I will be proposing shortly. I also favor taking "Members Issues" to a "members only" status. Otherwise, I like the forums pretty much as they've existed. I will be communicating these comments to the board.
From the minutes of the 7/6/04 Board of Directors meeting at the Tehachapi convention, as published in the Q4/2004 170 News:
"George Horn suggested only members may post messages in the forums, to encourage membership. Medendorp moved to adopt this suggestion, seconded by Martin;motion adopted."
Huh?

Eric